Cattle ridge hut

Can someone give me an update as to the state of cattle ridge hut at the moment. Has it undergone it's retrofit?
31 comments
11–20 of 31

for those who dont know, the waiohine gorge is impassable on foot... not sure if it can be pack floated. but from what i've seen of it, I wouldnt try
It can be pack floated.
its a better man than me that would pack float the waiohine gorge ha ha ha
The Waiohine Gorge is a lovely summer trip. Also popular as a tubing trip. We found a tube with a pack tied to it in there once. I've always kept my pack on my back when tubing - provides flotation if you come adrift from your tube and no chance of loosing your pack. Although there was nothing worth having in the found pack..... Personally I would go for Arete Forks over Mid Waiohine. Love the remote feel of the location and walking/wading down the Waingawa in summer is very beautiful and much less hard work than the sidle track.
wasnt aware of anyone having done the forks or waingawa.
Waingawa from Mitre Flats to the road is a virtual highway in summer. Dont treat it lightly though. Even in low flows you have half a dozen 20 to 50 meter swims. If its at all high it could be a very short very fast and exciting trip. I had 2 attempts at this. First attempt we were looking at it Sat night and thinking if iit doesnt rain overnight it could be an option. Luckily it did rain a lot. If it hadnt we would of got about 1km down then bush bashed up to the track. (Yes thats the highest steepest bit) I learnt respect for this river on the second trip where the water was more than a meter lower
I walked the forks to cow creek without getting my gonads wet one long hot summer. I was thankful too because that sidle is for masochists hahaha. Sorry tarry hunter.
What's dundas hut like these days? Has it had a spruce up? Haven't been there for three years.
Think its ok scheduled for repaint inside and out next summer, by the EXNZFS group
Cheers
11–20 of 31

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Gaiters
On 8 May 2017
Replies 30
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown