Man uses 20-year-old beacon to call for help

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/91808180/man-uses-20yearold-beacon-to-call-for-help-pinging-commercial-aircraft A 'lucky' 64-year-old Ashburton man spent two days without food waiting to be rescued from the Southern Alps after he used a discontinued 20-year-old emergency beacon to summon help. The man was finally located near Douglas Glacier Lake on Friday, after activating a current beacon. The older beacon, phased out nine years ago, was not picked up by satellites. Instead, its signal was picked up by several commercial aircraft. The incident has prompted officials to warn those who own beacons to ensure they are up to date. Department of Conservation senior ranger Shirley Slatter​ said the Alpine Cliff Rescue Team was called out after a personal locator beacon was activated at the Douglas Glacier Lake at 11.15am on Friday. The man had been waiting two days to be rescued because he had activated his old beacon, which was not being picked up by modern satellites. The beacon was phased out in 2009. Supplied The man had left Lake Ohau two weeks ago with no fixed intentions, carrying the two beacons, the second just five weeks old. Slatter said he decided to travel up the Landsborough Valley and down the Douglas Glacier Valley. "However, conditions had changed since he had done the trip many years ago and access around the lake was problematic." The man used an old emergency position-indicating radio beacon. Supplied The man used an old emergency position-indicating radio beacon. The man activated the old beacon on Wednesday, and again on Thursday. That signal had "pinged" commercial aircraft flying over the South Island, she said. Slatter said the experienced tramper decided to activate his new beacon, purchased in Australia, on Friday morning. An hour and a half later, he was rescued. The man had run out of food and had not eaten for two days. "He's definitely lucky," she said. The man was flown to the Aoraki/Mt Cook emergency services building, where he was checked out by St John staff, and "given some food and a cup of tea". "He was uninjured, but hungry and lacking energy," Slatter said. He was driven to the Hermitage Hotel and later got on a bus home to Ashburton. A Rescue Co-ordination Centre NZ (RCCNZ) spokesman said several high-flying commercial aircraft picked up an "occasional" signal from an old beacon on Wednesday and Thursday, but because they were so high, they picked up a signal that could have originated anywhere in the lower South Island. Authorities were alerted to the signal by aviation officials, but the RCCNZ had received no such signal. The difference between the man's old and new beacons could have been "life and death", the spokesman said. The modern beacon system was "incredibly quick". He urged those who owned beacons older than five years to check they were up to date. If anyone was unsure, they could take it to a business which sold or serviced beacons to get it checked for free.
22 comments
11–20 of 22

Is there any reliable way to measure the state of the battery after you've set it off? Or is it necessary to assume that it might be run down, and replace it?
you shoud be able to do a battery test at least after you've stopped it from being activated, they are usually good for around 24 hours switched on, it should state in the specs how long it will remain activated for before the battery runs out... so you can do your own rough calculation how much power is left, but then theres the age of the device and how close it is to the end of its stated life, but that chap had a pretty new device with him so the battery life should have been good to start with.. sounds like he didnt want too long before being rescued after he activated the new beacon so that would have still had a bit of life in it. i've got a "fastfind" beacon that you are supposed to send to the service agent after activating it, to reseal the lid on the beacon. i dont know how much that costs or whether the service agent will give a recommendation on replacing he battery or insist on doing it with its roughly $100 or more charge... but once you set your beacon off you're told to leave it on until you get rescued or until it stops working, and you dont really know how long that will be, it mainly comes down to the weather and whether its daylight as to how long you will be found, since if the weather isnt too bad and is flyable a helicopter will be dispatched almost by default in the mountains if there is one available in your region... i've been in asituation where i was at the end of a 4wd road and a vehicle was sent instead, partly because there wasnt a local helicopter available and partly because we were accessible by vehicle and our case didnt appear to be immediately life threatening, although we didnt have enough medical expertise to accurately judge that, and despite having a landline, we couldnt get the police to tell us when we would get a rescue. but we could tell them exactly where we were and it was straight forward to locate. if that wasnt the case and we were using a beacon we'd be obliged to leave it on, and the first sign we had of when we were going to see SAR was when we saw their vehicle, after several hours several hours so the upshot is you just dont really know how long rescue will be, if the helicopter was available, the patient would have been rescued in around an hour or less...
Yes there is a self test mode on most PLB that will report OK if battery is capable of lasting 24+ hours (the minimum). On my RescueMe PLB1 its the LED color. Check your PLB manual for the exact procedure :)
Please, if you have a PLB test it regulary. My fastfind says to test every month. With my first beacon I tested it a couple of times then didn't for somewhere between 12 to 18 months. When I did test it again no lights came on. This was well within its given battery life. The beacon was replaced at no charge. How long was I carrying around a useless beacon for - thank goodness I never needed it during that time. This is probably a rare occurance but it can happen which is why it is very important to test them regularily.
please also register your locator beacon, giving emergency contact details and your own, to avoid potential wasting of emergency service time as in the incident which has just happened when a beacon appears it may have been set off accidentally http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503438&objectid=11844735&ref=rss
A good idea too is to put a sticker on it with the national SAR centre phone number, so that if you set it on accidentally you can call them asap to tell them that it's an error :)
A good idea but I can't find a phone number for SAR anywhere on line. Everything says to phone 111. Do you have that number bohwaz?
From http://beacons.org.nz/ActivatingaBeacon.aspx#Accidental%20Activation : ===== What do I do if I activate it by accident or no longer need assistance? As soon as possible ring the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) on 0508 472269 or 0508 4RCCNZ and advise them that help is not required. They will then instruct you that it is OK to turn off your beacon. If you are unable to make contact with RCCNZ then contact can be made with one of the below agencies and they will forward the information on: * NZ Police call 111 * Maritime Operations Centre via marine radio on VHF channel 16 * Airways Corporation There is no penalty for inadvertent activation.
The phone number really only seems useful for a genuine accidental activation. Maybe there are scenarios I've not thought of, but I'd have assumed that if you have an emergency -- enough to decide to activate a PLB -- and a working phone, you should really be dialing 111 ASAP anyway, even if it's alongside activation of the PLB.
If you have phone contact then that would be your first line to call for help (111 - police). If you also have a beacon and are not sure of your exact location and/or are in difficult territory they may ask you to activate your beacon to help in locating you. If you don't have phone contact and activate a beacon and then decide you no longer need help and turn it off SAR will still come for you as they have no way of knowing whether you turned it off or it stopped working for other reasons.
11–20 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 21 April 2017
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown