the Te Araroa Trail

madpom poses a good question about the TA in his article. why do so many people especially foreigners all walk the TA exclusively and there are so few people walking off the TA.... the reasons could be many the amount of public information being diseminated widely about the TA is greater than most other tramping tracks and routes around except for tracks like the great walks and some day walker. the TA is even promoted on mainstream websites, often this is the only information a lot of these people have about tramping in NZ. and or they dont hav experience walking off mainstream trails some people want to use pre prepared information about established routes and or arent good at or confident walking off mainstream tracks or creating their own route. the people walking the TA often know or expect there to be other trampers around on that route and like the sociable atmosphere and or the perceived increased safety perception of having other people around outside their own group, or if they are walking alone, having other people around at some point even if they arent physically walking with them some or all of the time. a lot of people doing long distance trails are into doing established known long distance trails . often the logistics of walking established trails can be a lot easier than making up your own route. the established trails have a reasonable ability to resupply without great difficulty. often you only need half a weeks food if that before your next resupply and don't have to carry larger amounts of food all the time established long distance trail are generally reasonable quality tracks or there is a perseption of reasonable quality. and the people walking the long distance trails dont want to walk on rougher tracks...
24 comments
21–24 of 24

Different people like different things.
I began the TA (not TAT, which is incorrect) in 2015. When I started, I wanted an achievable adventure that didn't require a lot of planning, that highlighted major areas of NZ, and the aspect you all seem to be forgetting, the likelihood of randomly meeting Kiwis all over the country. As many of you know, I only did the North Island, and even then, didn't walk every step. I fairly quickly realised that the TA doesn't really highlight shit, but instead was simply put where it is for the sake of continuity. I often get asked if I'll finish the TA. My answer is probably not. Far greater adventures to be had in NZ! Also though, don't discount those who are using it as a way to figure out what else they want to do. In Nepal this time round, I'm almost certainly just doing EBC and Annapurna. But one of the main things that I'll be doing whilst there is figuring out what I can sink my teeth into next time I'm there. And getting some important experience with altitude. Not everyone has the true backcountry skills of say Madpom, Gaiters or Honora. Doesn't mean their own sense of achievement should be diminished in any way. Whether they do the TA, or even a day walk or two. TA no longer holds any appeal for me whatsoever. But I still had a kick-arse 3 months running amok a couple of years ago. ;) Only two questions should we really be asking trampers at any level: 1. Did you enjoy yourself? 2. Did you do the right thing and respect fees/recommendations/other track users? If those two questions are honestly answered positively, then they had a great tramp; no matter what the level of difficulty, duration, amount of planning required.
Hi all, when I read about TA, I assumed it had to be going through the best parts of NZ. It was marketed as such. Most of my homework was based on teararoa.org.nz only, so I turned a blind eye to what else was there. But while walking it I realized I was missing out on a lot, I would stumble upon some magazine showing a place I thought I would rather be walking to... but like some of the other TA walkers, it was also about satisfaction of finishing what you started.. I would not walk TA again, I thought I wanted to do NOBO... There's a so much better out there..
"North Bound" ?
21–24 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by waynowski
On 15 April 2017
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown