Looking for a less-beaten path

Hi all, I'm an American student spending the semester here in Wellington. I'll be heading down to the South island for two weeks in mid April, and was hoping to get some advice from locals on spots to hit. I am an experienced backpacker, having done a number of 3+ day trips, also I'm proficient at navigation, having done some bushwhacking in the Sierra Nevadas and Utah canyonlands (which are admittedly relatively devoid of bush). For my trip my partner and I are doing the Milford Track and also likely a 2 day trip out to Welcome Flats hot springs area. We'll be spending most of our time around the west coast. I'd like to find some hikes (1-3 days) that are a bit less crowded than how I expect these two routes to be, and was wondering if any of y'all had suggestions on places to hit or resources to find tracks. Aditionally, I'll be coming back around Late June, early July to do some extended (5-8 days) tramping, probably in the Nelson Lakes area, and would love suggestions on areas to hit there too! Thanks for your input and sorry if questions like this are posted very often, but the forum here is rather difficult to navigate/ search through.
20 comments
11–20 of 20

@glennj I walked out of there yesterday, saw no one else. Very friendly Robin at grassy flats hut though.
I amost never take topo printouts. Proper topomaps are cheap, robust more weatherproof, reusable & a good momento. Additionally it is far easier to plan alternative routes in case of bad weather, injury when you have a full map covering the adjacent areas than a printout just showing your original intended route & immediate surrounds. But others do use printouts, so its not a clearcut decision.
@chriss you would have seen my boot prints. There was a weka at Grassy Flat Hut when I was there. I only saw two blue ducks (whio) this trip which is a lot less than usual. Plenty of Kea sighted up high. Your experience reinforces that even the "moderately" popular West Coast valleys don't get a lot of visitors at this time of year. I've visited quite a few remoter West Coast huts where the time interval between parties visiting is usually months but sometimes years.
I did see your prints lol. And a weka around the hut at night and two whio downstream of mid styx hut turn off
A solitary whio at the Tyndall Crk forks 3 weeks ago. See what I mean: 3 of us in 3 weeks. busy track.
If I am going to a remote hut, on a normal weekend I do not typically bring a tent. If it is a popular hut then I might bring a bed mat in case I need to sleep on the floor. If it is a long weekend, I would bring a tent. If it is a very popular weekend like Easter, a tent or some form of accommodation is essential.
@madpom you mention copland valley will likely be very busy... do you think this is true in the upper valley as well? Thinking about extending the trip a day and doing some exploring above Douglas Rock Hut (looks like an amazing area), I don't know if you've been there. May also head back and up Karangarua valley a bit.
@andopotato Not been into the upper Copland myself - but there'll be others on here that have. Hopefully one will read & reply
DoC have done a bit of track and hut work in the Copeland Valley and the Karangarua recently (after January).
Above Welcome Flat Hut the Copland gets much less use. I'd guess that 20% or less than that of those that go to Welcome Flat carry on to Douglas Rock Hut and then most of them day trip only as far as Douglas Rock Hut and don't stay there. The upper Copland is very scenic but also very avalanche prone after heavy snowfalls at any time of year and in winter and spring as the day warms up.
11–20 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by andopotato
On 31 March 2017
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown