Hiking around Nelson Lakes/St James Late April

Hi All, Hoping to pick the brains of some of the experienced folk out there! I am ambitiously hoping to do a bit of solo tramping ~19th to 26th April but have little experience with NZ mountain weather around that time of year as I have only hiked around in the middle of summer! The route I'm hoping to take is as follows: 19th: Lewis Pass - Ada Pass Hut 20th: Ada Pass Hut - Bob's Hut via Three Tarn Pass 21st: Bob's Hut - Campsite somewhere below David's Saddle 22nd: Over David's Saddle to somewhere below Moss Pass 23rd: Over Moss pass to enjoy Blue Lake 24th: Over Waiau and as far down the Waiau Valley as I can get 25th: Pushing on to Cannibal Gorge Hut and possibly further to hitch back to Chch, 25th/26th. If time is running short then I can bypass blue lake and take D'Urville Pass over to Lake Thompson and and then down to follow the Waiau River back. I consider myself fit and able, but haven't gone off the marked trail like this before. I am also cautious of the weather and having only ~ 10.5 hours sunlight this time of year. So to the questions! What sort of gear should I definitely be bringing for a trip like this? I don't think I have ample wet weather gear so I am considering buying Marmot Precip Top and Btms to keep me warm and hopefully dry. Is my schedule achievable? What sort of weather should I expect? Am I mad trying to do this solo as a first? Does anyone want to come with me? Thanks for any and all help!
12 comments
11–12 of 12

Lots of good advice there. OK, given that background, twilly, why not go up onto the Lewis tops? Lots of possibilities (always assuming decent weather). An out-and-back if the weather window is short. A partial loop from Lewis Pass, through Brass Monkey biv, and out via either Rough Ck track or Lucretia & Nina huts. Near 3-Tarns pass, there are a couple of tarns S and SE of Gloriana Peak that are worthwhile goals. Not simple topology, you'd need to concentrate on navigation. Or perhaps (from Lewis Pass) a traverse through Zampa to SH 1662, 1687, 1692, 1681 then drop down to Ada Pass Hut (+ side trip up to 3-Tarns?) and out via Cannibal Gorge Hut.
Hi twilly, I can certainly vouch for the trip that pageix referred to: https://tramper.nz/5343/waiau-clarence-pass-lake-tennyson-circuit/ as a challenging but slightly less committing alternative that still gets you to Blue Lake and Waiau Pass. We travelled in the reverse direction to that description and took 4 days. We walked from Blue lake hut to Caroline Creek in a day without any trouble at all, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. Lake Tennyson Road, depending on the day of week, is pretty well travelled, whoever is driving up that road is highly likely to pick up a solo tramper. Good luck and take care Morris
11–12 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by Twilly
On 12 March 2017
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown