To all the Tramper NZ regulars....

1–10 of 12

Hi all. Once again, thanks for all being so bloody awesome! :D I love coming on here and reading your thoughts and what you've been up to. Start of the year, it seems people may not have the time to get out and about as much; not too many new and exciting tales, although discussing DOC developments and potential ways ahead for track management, as well as analysing mishaps is always helpful and enjoyable. Anyway, I'm just throwing something out there. As I've just mentioned in another post, I'm no longer doing 7 on 7 off, but 10 on 4 off. As such, the big tracks I want to do will have to wait until the end of the current tourist season here in Fiordland (end of April). Which means..... Failing getting accepted onto Australian Survivor, I'll be doing all the big tracks this May/June, and would welcome any of you regular guys and gals to join me for any of them. Here's what I plan on doing, in no particular order. I'll be very flexible, so happy to work around others: Dusky Track. All of it! Stewart Island; North-west Circuit COMBINED with Southern Circuit. You'd be welcome to join me for all of it, or just one or the other. Some friends want to do Milford Track. I've already done it, and it's not a big track, obviously, but I'll go again. Although, I'll meet them in there; enter via Dores Pass. If Milford is one of those ones you haven't done because, well, it's a Great Walk, it really is an enjoyable experience outside of the silly season. Who wouldn't want to swim under Sutherland Falls, the highest in NZ, and fifth highest in the world? (FYI, it's COLD!!) :D Hollyford/Big Bay loop. I haven't done the Heaphy, Waikaramoana or completed the full Abel Tasman tracks. Yeah, yeah, Great Walks aren't tramping, but I may as well tick off the last of them before the Pike 29 Memorial Great Walk opens next year. Tararuas. I've spent a bit of time in there, but barely made it to the tops, as I kept getting beaten back down by the weather. I want to spent 2-4 weeks in the Tararuas, hitting every hut. So that's a decent start to the off-season, I reckon. :D As I said, any of the REGULARS on here who want to join me, you're more than welcome! I'm not the fastest guy around anymore, but by no means the slowest, and I'm very patient in all aspects when tramping with others these days (unlike when I was a restless young buck). Also, any other epic tracks/tramps that anyone can suggest, I'm all ears. :) Cheers!
1 deleted post from Gaiters
@Kreig Admire you moxie, my man! You appear to have spunk in spades. Though I should say that Dusky is regarded as near impossible in winter. All the usual hazards have the volume turned up to 11, and you get to face all of that with about 6 hours of daylight. I imagine some kind of heated, inflatable boat/tent would earn its keep.
Kreig, I'm probably old enough to be your grandfather so I can only join you in spirit. Don't write off the Great Walks as 'not tramping'. I turned my nose up at the Heaphy for years, and then really enjoyed it when I got around to it more or less by accident one year.
Craigo, don't tease me. :P Phil, I enjoy the Great Walks. They've been made GWs for a reason. But because they're so well maintained, they're not really tramping. More just walking. :)
I am still a restless young buck. The best thing about the Great Walks is all the young Scandinavian girls walking them.
You can do the NW/Southern Circuits and a figure of 8 loop e.g Frank and I landed at Masons Bay, stashed 8 days food there, did the 3 day Southern Circuit in our case, via Freshwater, Rakeahua huts and Doughboy back to Masons Bay and then an 8 day NWC round from Masons Bay to Oban via Hellfire etc. (clockwise). The advantage of this was that we avoided the North Arm section which I don't like but I have done it a couple of times since for my sins.
Ya das is true, Militaris.... ;) Cheers on the suggestion Honora. I'll look at maps/options closer to when the time comes. It's not the most enjoyable, but when I've got a BIG multi-week tramp planned, I avoid food drops/resup stops by combining a little of this, a pinch of that, smattering of something else, and coming up with a shake mix that provides all the nutrients I need. I did this when I attempted the record on the Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia. Carried sustenance for a 1000km journey. (Only made it 210km in 3 days after badly twisting my knee day one, but was equipped to remain entirely un/self-supported for the entire duration). Although, when my flatmate took a photo of me with all these small zip-lock baggies lined up on the table, it DID look kinda sus! :P
@Kreig: It would be good to get the recipe. Do you think you would have got bored? How many days were you planning to walk on the Bibbulman, maybe 8?
Toe nails are full of protien
During a trek of hundreds of kms I just live off finger nails and toenails. Sometimes I'll cut off a useless digit if I'm really hungry😋
1–10 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Kreig
On 11 February 2017
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown