Camping on the Travers Sabine

Apologies if this has been covered in the past, but I'm struggling to find the specific info I'm after. Heading for Nelson lakes with intention to do the TS circuit with a night at Blue lake. Will be tenting, and trying to find out where there are suitable camping areas. The Travers valley is fine, plenty of flats by the looks and camping by John tait looks fine. But it's hard to see whether there is any clear flat ground near Upper Travers hut. I would rather not go direct from JT hut over the saddle in one day. The Sabine side I think is ok, Blue lake has a campsite and there's flat areas near Sabine hut. Not sure about West Sabine though. It seems most people stay at the huts from the trip reports etc. Not looking for any specific spots, just a guide as to where it might be ok for camping. Will likely talk to DOC in St Arnaud before setting out but if anyone can advise about camping near Upper Travers at least that would really help with the bigger plan and enable me to let others know where I intend to be each night. I've got plenty of hut tickets and would camp near huts if that's an option, but it seems they are not really set up as campsites, except JT maybe.
There are good campsites near the West Sabine Hut - just watch out for the wasps. Not sure about the Travers Valley as I've never been there.
There`s one,maybe two camping possies at Upper Travers Hut,but if you`re game & the weather`s settled,I`d look at waking up on Travers Saddle.There`s a couple of tarns up there,one of them out of sight about half a clic up towards Rainbow Pass.
Yes, lewshaw has a good suggestion, imo. The saddle is an easy 90min beyond UTHut and, in good weather, beside Rainbow tarn would be a great spot. Search 'Rainbow tarn' for a few photos. There is little camping below UTHut. Although photos make the immediate area before the hut look grassy, its tussock with big holes between the clumps. There is not much camping between UTHut and the TPass (or down the other side until you are close to WSHut). Camping in front of WSHut is limited but viable. The campsite at Blue Lake is great - search 'Blue lake campsite' for a pic. If it's wet, camping at Sabine hut is not advised unless you are a frog. Lots of wasps and sandflies - great spot :)
Thanks for the pointers, ended up camping at John Tait above the river the first night and at Blue lake as the hut was full of TA walkers. Other than that just stayed in the huts, never more than about 1/3 full and so much more confortable!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Forest823
On 2 February 2017
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown