Summer sleeping bag advice South Island

1–10 of 20

Hi all This has probably been covered a number of times so apologies for a repeated thread I'm planning a first multi day trek in the South Island next January and was just looking for some advise on Sleeping bag requirements. My wife and I are planning on doing the Caples/Routeburn track and are going to be sleeping in a memo hornet tent. We use exped UL 7 mats with a half a Thermarest Z mat each for added comfort/R value. We will wear poly prop LJs with socks/gloves/hat or balaclava. We have a down sweater to add should it get really chilly. What night time temps are we likely to expect in early Jan? I've just purchased 2 new TNF Lynx synthetic bags which are EN rated 6 degrees comfort and 1 degree lower. Weighing only 850 grams. They were a steal at $125 each delivered from 'bike24' in Germany. I figure that I could push that lower limit a touch with layering up as stated. I'm just concerned of any temps below zero that I'm likely to encounter. Any advise or help on the temps would be greatly received Cheers We're both experienced multi day trekkers here in Aus and UK. Our
At that time of year on that track, I'd be surprised if that set-up doesn't cut the mustard, especially if you're willing to sleep in all your clothes (even waterproofs will add some insulation in a pinch). One of my biggest issues when running a light bag at altitude is if my feet are cold before bed, they can take a long time to warm in the sleeping bag and keep me awake, but that's easily solved by filling a drink bottle with hot water before bed and chucking it in the bottom of your bag.
Hey thanks for the reply! We'd rather not sleep fully clothed if we can help it....purely for a comfort aspect. LJs and socks (maybe down sweater) I can cope with... spending the night in goretex is a whole different animal😄 How cold would you expect it to get? There's quite conflicting advice on the net.
those bags are fine for most bad weather at that time of year, and too warm for good weather...
Had the same dilemma last year, first week of Feb, same route. Single wall tent, similar mat and used a 30F quilt, which was plenty warm enough but it was mostly above 10C at night except for one night that got down to around 3C and was glad to have light down jacket and fleece pants.
Great! No need to return the bags then!! I figured the temps would get to the lower single digits when it's bad.. that's what made me thing the bags would suffice. It's just the more you read online, you start to doubt your initial decision. Thanks for the feedback guys👍 Just veering a little off topic for those with experience camping this route. Are the camp sites big enough to carry an additional tarp to set up as a cooking area in bad weather or are things a little tight?
I hope the weather is good to you - it's not the sleeping gear that I'd be concerned about but the tent. That's one light 2P tent at 1kg. I have an MSR HH with similar mesh area and its good for warmer weather but too cold for me in NZ. My other concern is the denier of the materials - 10D fly (1200mm) and 15D floor (1500mm). Have you had this tent in serious rain/wind? The campsites are not exposed but heavy rain is always possible. I guess, since you are close to huts, if disaster hits you have somewhere for retreat.
I've not had it in any weather😀 I've just returned another branded tent which failed under a lifetime warranty so I thought it was time to upgrade to light weight tent. I've done extensive research on the tent and everything seems to point to it being up to the task. No review was done in NZ mind, so fingers crossed I'll be the first with a glowing report! What's your concerns? Durability or waterproofness?
you want a tent floor rated at 10,000mm, it can rain a foot a day there. the ground tuns into a swamp
Plenty of room camping beside huts on the Caples / upper greenstone. We camped in grass area near Lake McKellar hut and beside Mid Caples hut. Be aware that there are no accessible campsites south of mid Caples since you are not allowed to camp on the valley floor and the track follows the edge of the steep valley sides. Routeburn flats was a magic camping spot, lake Mackenzie not so nice with the artificial grass pads- google for pictures. Both Routeburn campsites have shelters for cooking. Trust you have booked them as your tickets will be checked at both.
1–10 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Gidge12374
On 1 February 2017
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown