What type of socks with trail shoes?

When tramping in trail shoes, what type of socks do you guys wear? If I wear my medium thickness tramping socks, it is a very tight fit... But feel my running socks lack padding for a very long day. Do you buy slightly larger shoes, and use thicker socks?
i remove the insoles and buy after market ones, "sofsol thin" i often put them in in the shop to test that they fit OK. in the case of salomons that means i go half a size up for them to fit. Then i just use thin running type socks, i've got feet on the wide side and thick socks often make the shoes too tight...
I use trail shoes also, and likewise always wear thing running type sock, more comfortable, they dry quicker after any river crossing or wet conditions, and spare pairs are lighter and take up less room in the pack.
Have enough trouble getting size 16 anything for my feet let alone insoles, they are a virtual impossibility.
Icebreaker light hiking socks with trail runners and after market insoles. The insoles outlast the trail runners. Best hiking footwear solution I've ever found, hundreds of km with no blisters yet
I find it hard enough getting size 13uk / 14us footwear... Must really be a struggle to get size 16. Due to have size 13 feet, I never had the option of fitting after market insoles. They all seem to be a little more padded than the factory fitted ones.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by militaris
On 21 January 2017
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown