Tramper newbie needs advice

1–10 of 11

Hello there , I would like to go on a tramping through the whole south Island from end of Februar until end of April. I am not sure which tent I should buy could I go with the lighter and cheaper Ranger 1 or do I need the extra quality of the Kiwi Camping tent? http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/p3620_Kiwi_Camping_Pukeko.html http://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/products/minipack-1-person-tent-ideal-for-hikers-cyclists-backpackers Cheers and thanks for any advice
First question. You describe yourself in the title as a newbie. Is that to the forum or tramping in general? Second question Tramping the whole of the South Island could mean many things. There are places neither tent is going to reliably protect you by April. What locations do you intend to visit and what routes do you intend to take. Third what other gear do you need to ask about? A 2 month trek is a major undertaking for most trampers but for someone with little or no experience especially in early autumn could be a recipe for disaster.
Timeman, I assume you're spending 2 months tramping in the SI as opposed to covering the whole SI in that time.big difference.I also assume you're from overseas. You need to be more specific about your route or intended tracks. You also might want to stick to huts if you are a newbie. Be safe and don't be a statistic.
Everyone needs to carry sufficient shelter to survive until rescued. For a day walk in the environs of the city you wouldn't need much until the chopper comes but when tramping the requirement is a bit more involved i.e. carrying some form of tent or tarp if you have a warm bag. I wonder why the Ranger inner has that zip along the top? Maybe for circulation. If you can pitch these tents in sheltered areas then they are probably robust enough. Of course in an emergency, a tent site may not be sheltered but I suppose if one just has the tent unpitched and wrapped over one, then one might survive the night in those conditions. Our tent we carry is not particularly robust but on the other hand we've never had to use the secondary guys as we've always pitched it in shelter when there are winds gusting.
you've got no decent vestibules to be able to cook in those shelters in bad weather the floors waterproof rating only makes them water resistant, not waterproof, they are made of polyester, which is a lot weaker than nylon and more prone to tearing when put under stress, such as in strong wind... they are 75 denier fabric, thats thic and bulky fabric so the tents wont pack down very small for their size. they arent brands sold by tramping shops... look at tramping shops and buy there if you can afford it, or buy a reputable brand online second hand through trademe if you cant afford new....
polyester is weaker than nylon but normally compensated for by heavier fabric. However nylon deteriorates quickly in uv. The good tramping tents are made of nylon but have a definate lifespan. If you buy second hand look it over carefully Any fading or repairs dont buy
OK I see I was not specific enough... I want to do several tracks for example queen Charlott, Angelus, roys peak, the great walks etc... Therefore I will sleep in campsites and huts if convenient but also "wild" if there is a good chance to save money I think that will not put me in any life threatening danger But Just between these 2 tents which do you think is better for me? Cheap/light or expensive/more weight/ probably better quality?
Timeman, it's the other way around: cheap is heavy, expensive is light. Both tents will do fine.
I could find you 2 tents in the specification you put up. 1 from the Warehouse will be about 150 and do everything the tents you put up will but will weigh 2kg or so or something from the likes of Terra Nova etc that also does exactly the same job at not much more than 500g Great walks have to be booked so its likely there will be little need for the tent but some of the other tramps might require a tent
Both tents are fine. Just pick the one you prefer :)
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Timeman
On 20 January 2017
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown