Gaiters and Putties

Been a while since we discussed gaiters and Putties. So, what is everyones opinions on them... Do you always wear them when out tramping, or only on certain rougher routes... Canvas or Nylon? (Durability vs lightweight). Long Gaiters, or Putties? What is everyones preference
17 comments
11–17 of 17

For trips where I won't be walking in scratchy scrub or snow I use most of the length of an old sock i.e. with just the toe and heel section cut off, as it is way cooler than gaiters and puttees. Wore just this set-up on our last trip (up the South Opuha) and now I look as though I have measles on my legs as it seemed at times that just about every tussock had a speargrass hiding under it. I was actually grabbing on to matagouri bushes to avoid the speargrasses.
Amazes me how many of you wear gaiters! Can't stand the things as I suffer from hot feet which is infinitely worse than scratched legs. Only take them if I know there will be snow or a possibility of deep mud. I seem to always manage to avoid spaniards although the occasional one does get me. The only gaiters I have are some Gore Tex ones I got in Canada - not much use for spaniards!
I didn't use gaiters for years but looking back it amazes me how much crap I used to get inside me boots and just kept walking with it in there. I guess they protect the legs a bit but I mainly use them for keeping scree, sticks, seeds etc out. Guess I could be better off with putties but I'm a creature of habit so will probably stick with gaiters even after I need to replace the current pair.
We passed a lass wearing long gaiters on the Abel Tasman the other day. Wonder what she was expecting, or was it to show she was a 'real' tramper not just a tourist? Once passed a woman pushing a pushchair with baby in it, on the AT - neither mother nor baby were wearing gaiters! lol
hasnt done her homework
I tramped without them for more than 20 years until I joined HVTC. Now wear them most trips. Ive wrecked boots in the past because of stones from river crossings I havnt bothered to deal with til later Cant remember the last stone in my boot now. They are mountain designs nylon and must be close to 5 years old Mountain designs closed 2 years ago. Not a mark on them that wont come off with 20 minutes scrubbing with a heavy yard broom. Yes they are hot and sweaty although most of the everything proof coating has come off.
I almost always wear trail shoes except when crampons are required, so I use leather boots and knee height canvas gaiters then. Otherwise on easy tramping tracks trail runners and ankle height heavy duty lycra gaiters to keep stuff out of the shoes. On rough tracks/off-track I use knee height orienteering gaiters.
11–17 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by militaris
On 2 January 2017
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown