Gaiters and Putties

1–10 of 17

Been a while since we discussed gaiters and Putties. So, what is everyones opinions on them... Do you always wear them when out tramping, or only on certain rougher routes... Canvas or Nylon? (Durability vs lightweight). Long Gaiters, or Putties? What is everyones preference
depends on where i'm going, i've got a range of different gaiter lengths and materials to choose from to fit the area and weather
Puttees calico, home made
Canvas gaiters except when on good tracks. Tried a few brands: Macpac, Cactus and the like but still not found anything to beat Wilkins Canvas gaiters from Oxford(ish) for durability by a factor of at least 3.
I wear them most of the time. I have to wear compression socks that come up to below my knees, and they aren't cheap so most of the time it is about protecting those rather than my legs. But nice to keep some water out as well as stones etc I wear stones creek or hunters elements ones. They are the only ones I've found that I can get to fit me.
Since the majority of the tracks I take are not well formed or non-existent, I wear high gaiters (Goretex) made by Sea to Summit - they have been brilliant and are never clammy. I do have some Pertex Outdoor Research which are too sweaty and are now consigned as lenders to friends who tramp casually. Scratched shins are painful at night so high gaiters are essential for me.
To answer my own question, I rarely wear gaiters myself. Although I do like how they keep seed heads and other crap out of my socks / boots. I normally tramp in long pants, and they protect me against most scratches... Although Spaniards still get through.
I tend to wear shorts and mid length - long gaiters or puttees but can skip the gaiters/puttees if wearing canvas leggings which I sometimes do when in untracked scrub country. Not using gaiters/puttees tends to let too many small stones and bits of vegetation in to the boots which causes discomfort and or down time. I find one drawback with gaiters/puttees is that they can make your feet hot in summer (not a problem where there are river crossings) Colour & fabric type can make a difference here with lighter colours being cooler & some fabrics being more breathable than others. Too lighter fabric gaiters will rip in rough going & too short don't stop you getting spiked with spaniards or getting muddy if the mud is deep. At the moment I'm using home made shortened horse bandage puttees or Kathmandu brand gaiters (bought because they were on sale cheap) with underboot wire that I've added. My canvas leggings were made by an upholsterer in Miller Street, Dannevirke. I used to get canvas leggings from the saddler on Oruanui Street in Taupo. Puttees used to be available from army surplus stores. It has to be very good going for me not to use gaiters, puttees or canvas leggings when out walking in the bush and mountains!
I use gaiters on all trips. Cordura sea to Summit ones. Bit hot and sweaty on the warmest days but I hate taking my boots off during the day so I'll take that trade off to avoid stones/seeds/other crap getting in my boots. As a bonus I find combined with full leather boots my feet stay dry on almost any river crossing that doesn't submerge the top of the gaiters if I don't muck around in the water.
I use puttees in hot weather to keep stones etc out of my boots. However, no good when unexpected bush bashing required - a recent Kaweka trip had me longing for my gaiters as lower legs now look like they've been attacked by cats. I have a good pair of Camp gaiters for Winter use - close fitting with heavy cordura on inside ankle area to minimise crampon damage.
1–10 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by militaris
On 2 January 2017
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown