December 2016 updates

Hi everybody, This has been a long time coming, as it has been a bit of work and I haven't had much time what with a 6-month-old keeping us busy. Here's what is changed: * Reskinned tracks, articles, hut listings etc. * Bigger images, fully responsive * Better integration of GPS data with track listings There are also a few layout issues I need to fix.
The new, bigger images in articles look nice but there's something weird in their layout? There's now no correlation between where they were inserted in a body of text by the author and where they are displaying on the actual article... it looks like they are in fixed "display" positions??? What this means is if an article is short but has several photos linked into it only the first 2 or 3 are showing. If an article is long, then the linked photos rapidly get out of order from the sequence of the text. If this is a design feature then neat, I can certainly adapt, but all the old articles will need to be edited. Maybe some sort of text box on the Add Article/Track explaining how linked photos work would be useful? Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Hi @yarmoss, the images appear approximately where you add them with some leeway. If there's no room then they do not display. This could be tuned — for example by different layouts. If you see an example that is performing poorly, let me know.
Hi @Matthew, So I was looking at this article of mine from a couple years back: https://tramper.nz/10289/boyd-creek-to-the-divide-via-kiwi-burn-and-the-mavora-walkway/ This is a long article and is an example of the photos becoming out of alignment with the body of text. If I click the edit button I can see that I had 6 photos plus a link to a hut embedded in the section of text as "Day 1". These 6 photos now occupy the body of text all the way down to "Day 3". The photos that were under "Day 2" and "Day 3" get shunted further down the article and when the text ends at the end of "Day 7" and my epilogue we are only up to the photos for "Day 4". There's currently 16 photos on display from the original ~23. So maybe the issue is simply 23 photos is too many for an article. That's fine, but I feel like this needs to be stated somewhere on the article creation page. I, for one, like lots of pictures to break up walls of text. Maybe the article creation page could be altered with indications of where photos will appear in a body of text so that authors can know roughly what the maximum number of photos their article can support is? This is only an issue, of coarse, if authors actually want to put lots of photos in their articles. 1 or 2 photos isn't going to cause any problems at all.
Thanks @Yarmoss. That's a good example. I think the answer will be to add several photos at each insertion point. I'll look into it.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 7 December 2016
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown