Auckland DOC visitor centre closed

1–10 of 20

Just went to the DOC visitor centre on the wharf today and… nothing, the place is empty. Called the number on DOC website and got a nice lady one the phone telling me that the lease expired and was not renewed and so the visitor centre is definitely closed. The DOC website is not up to date (still saying that it's open), and it seems that it is an ongoing battle to have the website updated… So I'm leaving a message here in case it might help people not going there for nothing. Apparently there is no plan to reopen a visitor centre. Sad news. Another example of lack of DOC funding? If you need a backcountry hut pass or tickets you can call the Parnell office, and she will be there about two days a week, but it's cash only (no EFTPOS).
Thanks for the heads up. I had been planning to go in there to get a new annual hut pass before Christmas. Will have to rethink that one.
You can just call the visitor centre number on DOC website and you'll get the nice lady I saw today, she'll be in the Parnell office two days a week, though I don't remember which ones. And btw thanks for your blog! helped me plan a nice trip in the Kaimai 2 weeks ago :)
is it just the DOC kiosk thats closed? they didnt close the whole info centre did they? i went in there at midday and the doc staffer had gone to lunch.... like wouldn't that normally be when most people come in in the city? they only had a small corner of the info centre how much rent could that be. it was a pretty minimalist setup. no one else was there to see DOC when i was there. musnt have had much business... doc info centres are more of a provincial thing, near and in the main national parks...
Just go this email reply from the Auckland DOC lady: "At this stage there is only me in temporary premises in Parnell. I am only here some Tuesdays and Fridays. Since I no longer have a till I can only accept cash ... Management is still trying to finalise how this service will be delivered." I know that there isn't really anywhere in Auckland that you can actually use an annual hut pass, but still you would think DOC would want to have some sort of presence in our largest city especially over summer.
given auckland is the main overseas tourist gateway to NZ, DOCs setup is an interesting one... mind you a small office in auckland is infinitely harder to find than an info centre in a national park or small town..
you've also got the recent closure of the DOC eastern ruahine Depot http://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-country/news/article.cfm?c_id=16&objectid=11761172
@wayno: The whole visitor centre has closed, there's only the various small i-Sites around town left. Which is also quite strange to me. The nearest DOC huts where passes are valid are Pirongia and Kaimai ranges I guess, but still, these are quite popular with Aucklanders… And the DOC office had also a use in providing info and DOC booklets to tourists and locals…
A kiosk in each international airport would capture the tourists
@wayno: The whole visitor centre has closed, there's only the various small i-Sites around town left. Which is also quite strange to me. The nearest DOC huts where passes are valid are Pirongia and Kaimai ranges I guess, but still, these are quite popular with Aucklanders… And the DOC office had also a use in providing info and DOC booklets to tourists and locals…
1–10 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by bohwaz
On 6 December 2016
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown