Tarps: what size

1–10 of 18

Ok. Finally giving in & buying a lightweight tarp to use WITH a 1 man tent for cooking, storage, comfort space. I'm trying to work out what size of siltarp to buy. I see 6'x6', 6'x9' and 9'x9' advertised. I've used a Warewhare blue tarp before for a similar purpose & found their smallest 6-7ft square tarp too small to provide windbreak & shelter with sufficient height to cook under comfortably Pitched as a wedge parallel to my tent using a couple of sticks at the head end of my tent for support, the foot end of the tarp on the ground. Does anyone else use this combination of tent & tarp to give them outdoor space? What size tarp? What pitching stratergy (no tramping poles)?
What's the rationale for the tarp, madpom? Doesn't your 1P tent provide space for cooking, storage & comfort? What is it?
There is a method of pitching tarps called the bomb shelter method where the square-shaped (equilateral) tarp is pitched on the diagonal using a taut rope to which points along the diagonal ridge of the tent are attached (I used prussik knots). This means the windward apex is at ground level but the lee apex is high enough to do cooking etc. at comfort. I've googled the bomb shelter and found links to YouTube videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bbHAtUHjSgI read about it in a book (http://americanbushman.blogspot.co.nz/2007/04/don-ladigins-bombshelter.html) and replicated it by adapting a square tarp i.e. having anchor points sewn into a tarp along the diagonal ridgeline. The prussik knots mean the ridgeline can be adjusted to be taut.
Thanks @Honara. I played with a similar pitch in the Raukumaras - but couldn't figure a way of integrating it into the tent pitch. By which I mean ideally I want a dry area outside the tent door (side door tent). If I use the bombshelter (youtube version from your links) and have one rising side of the tarp rising over the ridge of the tent then the dripline off that half of the tarp falls on the tent. So I either ended up with: - Tent pitched completely under the tarp (so min 9x9 tarp needed & much of it's space wasted) - Tarp pitched with a monopitch design (no ridgeline) 1 high corner, 2 grouded, drpping away from the head/door of the tent and to the feet of the tent. So triangular tarp required. - Pitch the tarp away from the tent & accept I have no dry disrobing debooting spot outside the tent door. Hence request for other's ideas/experience @bernieq Tent is a glorified bivvy bag - 300mm high at feet, 700mm at head. 2 skin. Coffin footprint just big enough for me and a tghtly coiled collie. 1.1kg, and thus-far bulletproof. Survived 140km winds on tops with no issues. 500mm westland raunfall event, still dry inside. Small enough to pitch anywhere you can lie down. Id like that robustness & flexibility & weight, with the option of some comfort if space/conditions permit for cooking/disrobing/storing gear on dedicated tent trips. Hence the tarp.
Like the sound of your tent / glorified bivy bag. What brand and where did you get it?
Would be interested to know what tent it is as well if you don't mind @madpom.
No longer available. Mountain hardware model which was replaced by their 1-man lightwedge which itself has changed beyond recognition. Same story as always with tramping gear - you find something perfect and next time you look for one it's been discontinued.
Bugger. Sounds similar dimensions to my cheapy but 400gr lighter.
Have you considered a large tarp and just a bug-proof inner tent? Ok, you'd have to really work out your pitch if privacy is a concern, but otherwise it would provide plenty of covered living/play area, but still give you a safe-haven from bugs come beddy-bies.
@Krieg Yes - considered leaving the fly of my existing tent and taking a large siltarp instead. For the majority of the fly+tent pitches that would be ideal. But: a) I lose the ability to do a quick, small footprint pitch b) I lose the robustness to extreme weather (wind) c) I lose R (insulation) provided by the snug-fitting fly in wind or cold d) the value of the tent as an emergency shelter on the tops would be severely reduced So - yes - for a trip (such as next week's), where I'm doing tracking tunnels from a known camp on good flats, the inner+tarp would be ideal. But for 'real' tramps I want both options, and am willing to pay the price (in g). The combined weight will still be less than a equivalent footprint tent with vestibule. And I can't afford / justify getting another lightweight, bigger tent anyway. So I figure I win both ways with a tarp. In reality we're talking 250g vs 400g for the two sizes of tarp - so I can live with the weight of the larger tarp and pitch it over the tent if that's the best solution. My fear with the large tarp is more practicality: 1) Bigger size - more restricted where you can pitch it. 2) Bigger size - more 'sail' to catch the wind 3) Bigger size - less effective as a tight windbreak for cooking I should really get hold of a couple of cheap 6' and 10' warehouse tarps for next week and play with them - see what I reckon will work best. Given I'd only need to carry them from the skid. locker to the campspot it's a good opportunity! Then I can spend the money on something lightweight to take on tramps with a bit more confidence.
1–10 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by madpom
On 14 November 2016
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown