Customs charges on online tents

1–10 of 19

The title says it all really. Has anyone bought a tent online from an overseas supplier. If so, did you incur any fees on arrival into the country. What were they for. Cheers.
I haven't purchased tents online specifically but looking at the duty list you should be paying 5% duty as well as the usual GST. Not sure if there are any other charges.
Ive bought a tent from Aliexpress about 2 years ago. No duty paid. Rules do state that duty needs to be paid but if its less than a certain amount then customs dont try to collect. I cant remember the amount. Ali express has signed into the new collect gst etc arrangement meaning they will be collecting on customs behalf and it will show in the purchase price once that scheme is in place but until then you are pretty much at the mercy of what the stall holder writes on the customs declaration. The tent I bought came as a zero value sample
In principle all imported goods are liable for GST on arrival, in practice they don't bother below a certain value threshold. In theory I think this threshold is about $400, but in practice I've brought stuff in at around twice that value and not been charged. With $1000 or greater value I guess there's a higher chance you could get a GST bill. Anyone bought stuff worth more than $1000 who has or hasn't got a GST bill?
Bike parts I bought from the UK in April equating to NZ$800+ did not incur any duty/gst. I've heard some people split up the purchase and have it posted to their mate's address. I don't believe Custom's threshold is always applied to every package that comes in. Some equipment seems to attract more attention at the border than others.
they probably pay attention to bigger packages, thats the only time i've ever been stung, smaller packages of several hundred dollars i've never been stung for, and they are so busy before xmas you're less likely to get stung then... they are supposed to start charging for just about everything. but whether the retailer has to recover the duty or the freight companies or customs, I don't know..
She's a bit of a lucky dip then. Well I'm looking at getting a tent from the UK for half the price it costs here, on sale. That includes shipping. I hope it slips through customs it's 1.5 kg. so hope it gets in under the radar.
Getting close to Xmas @Gaiters, know anyone in the UK flying to NZ?
Bought a tent off AliExpress in July ($150 value) and got it without any trouble.
what was declared on the customs form? (if it was readable)
1–10 of 19

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Gaiters
On 7 November 2016
Replies 18
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown