Insoles for sole pain

Finally convinced my new Lowa Camino boots to stop butchering my heels (had to resort to Engo Patches, which work great, as none of my other tricks worked), only to find that the soles (balls and heels) of my feet are getting very sore after just an hour of hiking. I tried some running insoles, which eased the hell pain a bit but took none of the sting off the balls. I trailrun and can hike all day in my old boots, so I don't have soft feet. Anyone know of a suitable insole for this problem?
13 comments
11–13 of 13

I rate myself as an expert :-) in sole comfort as I have a significant disability which gives me forefoot grief. I use Scholl Gel Sports insoles (the blue ones.) Although they can be destroyed I have found that if I put them on top of another thin sole, like the original insole, they have lasted. I go for a larger boot than usual as there's more toe room and can stick two soles in if I wish. Historically gel soles can get damaged when they move around inside the boot so after river crossings or if I feel any discomfort I check that they're still in place; so far so good. $40 a pair but better than limiting yourself to short days and crippling pain. I also have invested in Stoney Creek Greywacke boots as these are by far the softest/thickest forefoot. Not a mountaineering boot but still pretty stable as they have a high upper. For example, I have gone from 5 hour days before these boots to 8 hour when wearing them.
Thumbs up
Do you still have the old boots? Have a look to see what the differences are and figure out how to resolve them. It might mean going back to a new version of the old boot. One thing that might work is a layer of snow foam as an insole if it will fit in the boot. Generaly the softer the boot the more comfortable but the less suitable off track. I dont know how true this is but I know my 3/4 season boots give me ankle ache on a long hard surface walk. I now wear gym shoes of good surface tracks for Sunday walks which helps a lot. Little or no risk to the ankles on those tracks. You cant put crampons on a soft boot
1 deleted post from csorthofeet
The above guy doesn't have an invested interest in orthofeet at all hahaha.
11–13 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Craigo.
On 7 November 2016
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown