New Tent - 2 Person

1–10 of 20

Hi All, New to the forum, I do three or four, 1 or 2 night tramp/fishing trips to the backcountry a year. Always October to April (fishing season). Been looking at a new tent in the $200-500 range. I cant afford higher end tents like MSR, Vaude etc. Want it to be light as possible, but needs to be robust and waterproof. I know you get what you pay for. Heres a comparison list I have done to try and get an idea of best weight/value for money and get my head around all the differences. If anyone has any recomemdations from this list, love to hear from you. The Wild Country Tents look like they could be the best value/specs for something with a NZ warranty... Brand Weight Price Floor GeerTop Light Weight 1.81 $217.00 8000mm Wild Country Coshee 2 2.00 $239.99 6000mm GeerTop 2.30 $146.00 5000mm Wild Country Hoolie 2 2.30 $287.99 6000mm Macpac Minaret 2.40 $524.99 10000mm Marmot Tungsten 2.40 $449.00 2000mm Oztrail Vertex 2.40 $249.95 5000mm Zempire Atmos 2.50 $380.00 10000mm Torpedo7 Mamaku 2.56 $269.99 3000mm Zempire Zeus 2.57 $329.99 5000mm Torpedo 7 Roam 2.60 $149.99 5000mm Kathmandu Bora 2.88 $359.00 10000mm
Does it have to be a tent? Could you use a fly instead?
Can't commend on any of the above as I haven't used them, but would like to make one remark: you looked at weight, but I suggest you look at packed size too, i.e. how much space does it take up in your pack? The other thing I find important is can I sit upright, and can I sit upright easily from sleeping position, without having to crawl out of my tent. For a one person, a 2 person tent is pretty big I think, probably more than you need given your requirements, so perhaps roomy 1 person with vestibule will do. Please let us know what you picked!
Have used a macpac minaret for many years, has lastest well and suits us. No guarantees that the current manufacturing is as robust as the old manufacturing was though. If using in winter or in known to be bad weather we will take the whole tent but more often just take the fly/poles/pegs and a groundsheet which cuts the weight but still gives more shelter than an open fly. I can sit up in one but at 158cm tall thats not saying much.
Wild Country make good tents - same design team as the much more expensive Terra Nova range, but with cheaper (heavier) materials used. I have a Zephyros 1 that I use for solo non alpine stuff, very happy with it.
Yeah, another recommendation for Wild Country Zephyros here too, I've the 2 Lite version, which is great, I got it to replace the same I had stolen a year ago. As Hutch says they're designed by the same guys as the more expensive Terra Nova range, and they do make excellent tents. As regards a tarp, I have and do use it, but these days they're barely any lighter than proper tent, as you'd need a ground sheet too anyway, and open to elements - sand-flies and the like, which can be unpleasant.
The Zempire Atom (1P) would be a third lighter than the Atmos. Almost a third less internal space, but half the packed volume. The Atom has a short horizontal strut on it's spine that makes the top of the tent broader ie improved internal space & better wind profile. Torpedo7 list the Atom @ $225 & the Atmos @$297 Club price. Well less than your $380 for the Atmos.
@Pro-active, have you tested the new Zempire yet? Looks like a good tent for sure.
@JETNZ. The Atom ?. Not yet. T7 have one in the box, not set up. Just waiting for the extra percentage discount before I buy as an upgrade from the Mono :) Slightly less total height, but that's because it's been chopped a little to broaden the head room. And, it's lighter than the Mono. Yep. Looks a goody. http://www.coastalsports.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/atom-tent-profile.jpg
Bit of a different budget but the missus and myself are seriously considering a alpine two man tent and are looking at hillebergs, can't decide whether to get the Annan or Naldo. We are also thinking of going to 3 man as the price and weight diff is minor. We need some room with our baby.
1–10 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by PeelProductions
On 2 November 2016
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown