Off-trail routes; hidden alpine valleys.

Hello, I'm from Canada, and plan to spend a couple of months tramping in the South Island. I'd like to know the best areas where I can go off-route in the alpine and follow the topo map to hidden valleys where I can bivi in solitude for a few days. I'm sure due to different climates and terrain some alpine areas offer easier cross-country travel than others. How do the different regions compare in ease of travel and remoteness? Any comments regarding available topo maps? Thanks, Greg
Greg, As you probably suspect, there are countless off track routes. Some that i have done include : 'The five passes'- refer to Moirs Guide North which provides notes on the Mt Aspiring NP or Classic Tramping.As the name suggests, there are 5 high passes to cover in a circuit. A bus will drop you off to start at Sugarloaf Pass and you can arrange a jet boat out for the return across the Dart river. There are rock bivvy sites along the way but a tent is recommended. The Albert burn near Lake Wanaka can provide an out of the way place which you could enter and leave a couple of ways. Mt Brewster near Haast pass has a new 12 bunk hut having just replaced the little 4 bunk bivvy. Brewster has a glacier on it. Easy to reach. Can camp away from the hut. Recommend you cross the range to Makarora valley to make it a round trip. 1:50K maps cover all new zealand. It's the best you'll get. Gear shops etc will all have the maps you want.They should cost you about $10 -12 each. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more Q's. Aardvark ( check out the photos )
I go with Aardvark here. Moirs Guide North is the book you want. It describes all sorts of places, many of them rarely visited.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by gstrauch
On 15 December 2007
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown