Help with navigation

Hi. My name is Mat, 34yo from NZ. I am walking the Te Araroa trail later this year and I need to learn some navigation skills. I have been having trouble finding any courses I can do and I was wondering if there is anyone on this website who would be willing to take me out for a day or two and show me some on/off track navigation skills, map reading and compass skills. I would be happy to pay a reasonable price. I live in Auckland but I could travel to most places as far south as Taupo if there was somebody willing to teach me. Or if anyone knows of any courses available or has any information on this, anything would be appreciated. Thanks
22 comments
21–22 of 22

I always got the impression SAR was keen on people to stay put if lost. Especially when the lost person drifts into an area that has already been searched. Apparently kids are easy to find because they tend to hide up and stay put.
i would at least move to somewhere where it's open or to any known track to make it easier to get found, if i got to a track and i knew where i was i'd keep walking towards getting out.. sitting around too long may get you killed in bad weather. if you can't work out where you are then stay put to avoid getting more lost and wasting energy not knowing where you're going
21–22 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Matramper
On 27 May 2016
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown