Help with navigation

1–10 of 22

Hi. My name is Mat, 34yo from NZ. I am walking the Te Araroa trail later this year and I need to learn some navigation skills. I have been having trouble finding any courses I can do and I was wondering if there is anyone on this website who would be willing to take me out for a day or two and show me some on/off track navigation skills, map reading and compass skills. I would be happy to pay a reasonable price. I live in Auckland but I could travel to most places as far south as Taupo if there was somebody willing to teach me. Or if anyone knows of any courses available or has any information on this, anything would be appreciated. Thanks
Try: http://www.outdoortraining.nz/ This is where some of the MSC instructors went when they were dumped by MSC
Hi thanks Scottie. I recently did a river safety course with those guys and it was good but they weren't doing navigation courses.
Hi @Matramper. Note that navigation's often included as a component of other courses. If you see a bushcraft course advertised, there's a reasonable chance it'll include some navigation. I think it'd be naive to assume that a course will make revolutionary difference by itself, though. Courses are good for learning the specifics of theory and techniques, but it's one of those skills that improves with lots and lots of practice and getting out there and doing it, ideally with other people who are also good at it. Of those I've met who can navigate well, I doubt any got great at it overnight. Statistically speaking I reckon you'll be fine on Te Araroa. It's great to try and up-skill as much as possible, and learning about good and effective nav is always going to give you an advantage. But, based on conversations on the Te Araroa facebook page, many people there seem to be more concerned about having the best smartphone app for telling them where they are and where to go. Relying on that alone isn't something I'd recommend, but it seems to get people though.
Hi Thanks for your feed back. Its just peace of mind, that's all. I have gps equipment also but would like another option.
Get out there and get into it (within your ability!). I've found it's taken my entire adult life to become confident/solid with my nav and even though I thought I was good, my friends and I have made plenty of mistakes to learn from! I agree with above, start with a bushcraft course (1 - 2 days), find some mates or a club, and get out there and do it! Front country (ie half a day from the car) is plenty far enough into the hills to practice. Be fussy with the practice - work out where you are when it's not obvious, identify features in the distance using observation/map/compass, and take any opportunity on short safe walks to challenge your map reading... Finally learn to use a compass and practice the process in a super safe area (back paddock)... then get out, use it, and learn to trust it. The compass continues to be an underrated, but single most reliable navigation tool going. Enjoy a lifetime of learning nav. In parts a great skill, in other ways - an art! As an NZOIA instructor I would of been keen to take you out for a day (Chch though). With this in mind...maybe enquire on their website or place an add with their office, this is forwarded to all members each week - dozens of independent instructors, someone might be keen...
Hi Mat, good on ya for asking. Is there any rogaining (or orienteering) in Auckland? Ideal activity for gaining/improving map/compass skills. Actually, the fundamentals of compass work are fairly simple (once explained) but there is a lot under the cover (distance estimation, map/real, true/map/magnetic north, resection/back bearing etc etc) - that's where experience really makes the difference. Do you have a compass - I know Silva compasses (used to) come with quite good instructions on usage. In reality, the LINZ maps and a GPS (with compass backup) makes a pretty strong combination - do you know how to relate map and GPS co-ordinates? (and how to set the GPS to match the map datum?)
The MSC Bushcraft manual had a good section on learning to use a map and compass to navigate. I believe with practice this would be sufficient in itself for learning the skills in a self-directed fashion. A mate spent a couple of minutes showing me how to use a map and compass using the grid bearing technique. Only remembering that the red needle points at magnetic north was sufficient for me to figure out how to use the map and compass on a 54 day journey, with only 8 days spent on tracked terrain. I think the difficult aspect of learning to use a map and compass may be when different techniques and types of maps are used e.g. in the States and Scandinavia the gridlines are running in alignment with magnetic north whereas in NZ they run in alignment with grid north (which is almost true north). So the Silva instructions could be confusing as our maps are different. If assistance is given, the instructor needs to build on what the person has already been taught otherwise confusion can ensue as the pupil mixes techniques and steps in the various processes up.
Hi Antony and bernieq. Thanks for your feedback. I think orienteering might be a good option as there is bound to be people doing that in Auckland. I do own a compass, and I do know some of the theory behind using it from what I have researched but don't feel I have a firm grasp of it. I understand it is something that is learnt over time through experience. I wanted to join my local tramping club in the hope of picking up some tips but I work during the weekends so I wasn't able to. I recently bought a GPS and I am still working out all its functions. I do not know how to relate map and gps co-ordinates, or how to set the gps to match the map datum. Cheers
Thanks Honora I will have a look at the MSC manual
1–10 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Matramper
On 27 May 2016
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown