Personal survival kit

Ever since I had a cold night sleeping on a track (separated from my pack and my torch failed) I have been carrying some items in my clothing. Usually a minimum of a Mylar blanket, mini survival kit (AMK pocket survival pak) and a glow-stick (which I'm looking to replace with a Photo micro torch and an extra set of batteries). I'm now moving it away from my pockets (which tend to get weighed down/stuff damaged or lost) to my waist bag. Unlike a day pack or jacket, the waist bag rarely gets taken off (usually only when bathing/sleeping) Currently its an old Fairydown waist bag that's got a hidden pocket in the back, that I can accommodate up to half the volume (so about 2 packets of two-minute noodles worth). The above items take just over one noodle packets worth of space. Normally I would carry a pocket knife, snacks and other handbag sundry in the front that I want ready access to. The stuff in the back will rarely get used and I'm considering making it shrink wrapped to reduce the overall volume. AMK survival kit contains items like whistle, compass, cord/string, fire starter, signalling mirror etc. You can see the full inventory here; http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/survival/pocket-survival-paktm-1.html I've squeezed in a surgical scalpel blade and a Leatherman Micra multi-tool (with scissors/tweezers etc) First aid kit is basically consisting of plasters, tablets and some antiseptic sachets in a small zip-lock bag Some other items I am considering; - extra first aid in form of a small elastic bandage and dressing pad. - disposable poncho. Handy if there is downpours when you don't have your rain jacket or keeping you drier if you have to sleep in the rain. It's about the size of the survival kit but weights nothing. I currently carry it in my day-bag (picked it up when visiting a theme park last year) - water bag. Either a larger zip-lock or Mylar bag with some water purification tablets. Can also use the zip-lock to further waterproof the items I am already carrying. - 550 para-cord, This is a lot stronger than the cord in the survival pack and I could braid it on the strap of the waist bag if it doesn’t fit in the pocket. - glucose lollies for an energy boost. Anyone has some good suggestions what I am missing or what doesn't work from the above list/considerations ?
34 comments
31–34 of 34

... unless you use it, then you need to get it reset with another battery (they arent rechargeable). They have a operating time of about 24hrs ... when you set it off you should keep it activated until they find you (that can be hours) It's a factor you need to consider as a operational cost.
It's my understanding most PLB distributors will replace any units that need to be activated in a genuine emergency with a whole new unit/battery. At least that is the case with the GME unit I have.
Just finished the book describing 10 SAR operations. Can't remember the name as its back at the library. One was about a Canadian stuck up on Mt Aspiring in a white out, who had a Canadian PLB with text and tracking facilities. His father was watching (either in Canada or Australia, can't remember), in real time, his son's progress on his computer, somewhere near Quarterdeck Pass, and realised he had strayed from the proper route and was wandering among crevasses and drop offs. He alerted the authorities which then carried out a successful rescue. The guy for some reason could not use the text facility which would have also helped considerably. Seems to me that these would be wonderful improvements to a 'normal' PLB. In that I am resistant to buying yet more stuff to lug around, and being a bit 'old school' I do not own a GPS, however my PLB has a GPS built in which, of course, I cannot access. I wish I could just press a button on it and get an accurate position location. I know the argument against this is all about battery life but surely, in this day and age, that can be got around?
the text capable devices are bigger, heavier, more expensive and require a paid subscription service, you literally pay by ttext volume. i've heard other stories of people having problems with intermittent issues stopping them from texting in NZ, they dont always have the same satellite coverage that dedicated PLB systems do. dedicated PLBs transmit at up to ten times the power of the two way comms devices as well and have a better aerial.
31–34 of 34

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pseudo
On 10 May 2016
Replies 33
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown