Personal survival kit

Ever since I had a cold night sleeping on a track (separated from my pack and my torch failed) I have been carrying some items in my clothing. Usually a minimum of a Mylar blanket, mini survival kit (AMK pocket survival pak) and a glow-stick (which I'm looking to replace with a Photo micro torch and an extra set of batteries). I'm now moving it away from my pockets (which tend to get weighed down/stuff damaged or lost) to my waist bag. Unlike a day pack or jacket, the waist bag rarely gets taken off (usually only when bathing/sleeping) Currently its an old Fairydown waist bag that's got a hidden pocket in the back, that I can accommodate up to half the volume (so about 2 packets of two-minute noodles worth). The above items take just over one noodle packets worth of space. Normally I would carry a pocket knife, snacks and other handbag sundry in the front that I want ready access to. The stuff in the back will rarely get used and I'm considering making it shrink wrapped to reduce the overall volume. AMK survival kit contains items like whistle, compass, cord/string, fire starter, signalling mirror etc. You can see the full inventory here; http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/survival/pocket-survival-paktm-1.html I've squeezed in a surgical scalpel blade and a Leatherman Micra multi-tool (with scissors/tweezers etc) First aid kit is basically consisting of plasters, tablets and some antiseptic sachets in a small zip-lock bag Some other items I am considering; - extra first aid in form of a small elastic bandage and dressing pad. - disposable poncho. Handy if there is downpours when you don't have your rain jacket or keeping you drier if you have to sleep in the rain. It's about the size of the survival kit but weights nothing. I currently carry it in my day-bag (picked it up when visiting a theme park last year) - water bag. Either a larger zip-lock or Mylar bag with some water purification tablets. Can also use the zip-lock to further waterproof the items I am already carrying. - 550 para-cord, This is a lot stronger than the cord in the survival pack and I could braid it on the strap of the waist bag if it doesn’t fit in the pocket. - glucose lollies for an energy boost. Anyone has some good suggestions what I am missing or what doesn't work from the above list/considerations ?
34 comments
11–20 of 34

Got one that I used to attach to keyring and used to hate it being accidentally switched on in my pocket ... the undocumented auto-off feature didn't work with my model. So I have it reverse attached to the clip so I have to remove it to power on. It's also not expected to be used unless the primary light is broken. I also felt like a Dalek (or insert tacky alien with glowing crystal on forehead) with a head torch.
You've gotta get a head torch man. How you going to cook tea and breakfast ? Make a fire? Read a book in your sleeping bag? They don't fall off on the trail. It's endless. I see the benefits of a hand torch, but it would never be at the expense of a head torch. In my 'survival kit' is some plasters, savlon cream, PLB, reflective mirror, voltaren, ibuprofen and paracetamol, matches, long blade Swiss Army knife and thats about it. As far as clothes it's basically the same everytime irrespective of the time of year. Two merino socks, merino long johns, rugby shorts, merino long sleeve, merino short sleeve, ridgeline polar fleece pullover. Chollo(those beanies with the ears). Event raincoat. Polyprop gloves and waterproof gloves. In summer add a baseball cap and quick dry tee. Winter an extra merino pullover and maybe extra merino longjohns. Sorry to stray but I consider my whole pack as a survival kit.
Haha, as I said I got a couple head torches that sit in my drawer. Used them for a while but didn't like em on my head. I may revisit it and see if there are any improved designs from my Petzl. So in the scenario when you are crossing a river and start to get swept downstream ... you need to take your pack off in a hurry and there is a chance you may lose it. I've crossed rivers like this but luckily able to get my foothold back again quickly. In this instance, the waist bag is a part of you and is unlikely to get separated. Another one is taking a day walk and the weather closes in and you lose your bearings. I would normally only take a daypack and make sure I got all the extras in that eventuality. With my waist pack I only have to pack clothes/food/drink.
your pack floats if you've packed it properly, i've been swept down river and i kept my pack on and floated on my back.
There are so many possibilities for disaster. After a million tramps I know the kind of mishaps that usually trip me up, literally. Tripping on tree roots. Blisters. Sunburn. Cuts and scraps. Neck pain. Achy knees, frozen gonads (i jest). Anything really bad pull out the plb which is always in the top of my pack, even on a day hike, get warm, comfortable and wait. When I first started I carried everything. Now I know what I need. Yes there are scenarios where I could rue my decision to not pack the kitchen sink but that could happen in any aspect of my life not just tramping. I don't strap everything to my body that I could need if I crash my car in some rural back block. Or when I go diving an hours walk from the car. Same with tramping. That plb is the biggy these days.
That doesnt make sense ... if you are in deep water it would be really hard trying to balance a pack while facing up. The pack will try to be on top (especially if its bouyant). I've fallen in shoulder deep water and you end up being pushed forward, as the pack is more bouyant than you.
i dont care about the theory, i've done it in reality and it worked fine.. i've been tramping for thirty years all over NZ and been in a lot of scrapes. if you have more experience than me then you can tell me i'm wrong. stop over thinking everything... and get out and tramp then you'll understand what works and what doesnt
Yeah but Im not advocating carrying the kitchen sink ... only some essentials that will fit in a very small space and only accessed if you needed it. For a car accident, if you cant get a seatbelt undone or you are pinned in the car a multitool (or seatbelt cutter) and cellphone is something that would be appropriate. I carry a toolbox in the car. The last time I used it was someone accidentally drove over some garden edging into some bushes. The car was jammed in the branches of the bushes and couldnt get out on its own. I used a folding saw to cut the offending branches, a towrope to pull the car out and wire/drill to secure the half mangled bumper back into position so the car could be driven in a semi-normal state (presumably to a panelbeater to look at. Granted its not life and death (survival) but the tools were useful and got the person back on the road in less than an hour.
i dont think you need to have a seperate bag at all times. there are finite scenarios you'll get seperated from your pack. and what you'll need will vary, i go with that option. i dont know anyone who constantly caries an emergency bag as extra. if its not going to work keeping your pack river crossing, your call if you take the bag. but it dumbs down the whole experience if you have a standard bag at all times prepared for no end of possible eventualities.. be flexible and act as appropriate.
Improvisation is a wonderful thing. Frank broke his leg as I've mentioned in another post and we splinted it by deconstructing his walking pole, first padding his break with the thin closed cell foam back support of his pack. I used my pair of long johns (hut clothing) to tie all this onto his leg. He crawled for 2 km at night on untracked terrain, spider style, on his palms and the uninjured foot with his injured leg raised off the ground by having the crotch of his overtrousers under the back of his thigh and the knotted legs of his overtrousers behind his neck. I endorse Wayno's comments re the pack and carrying too much worse-case scenario stuff. Every tramper needs to do a river-crossing course to practise the techniques and how to cope when you're swept off your feet, using your pack as a life-raft. A g/f of mine lost her pack after she perched it on a rock and was busy taking off her overtrousers. It tumbled 700ft down the slope and we couldn't find it until we checked in a wee snow cave formed by a stream of water. Voila. It pays to follow the line where water would flow when you drop stuff into a Fiordland valley.
11–20 of 34

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pseudo
On 10 May 2016
Replies 33
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown