runners death patagonia,

suspected hypothermia at this stage, severe weather reported. https://gearjunkie.com/ultra-fiord-patagonia-tragedy-hypothermia take a look at the gear list. compulsory to have an insulated top. weighing at least 130gm.. suggested only to have a heavier insulated top. rainpants not compulsory. photos showing people fording a river at leas waist deep.. http://www.ultrafiord.com/rules/#Article_08
25 comments
11–20 of 25

In related news, it's nice to see that the AdventureSmart website *finally* recognises Mountain Running as an activity. http://www.adventuresmart.org.nz/land-adventures/mountain-running/
@Izogi I don't think it is possible (or desirable) to enforce requirements which are 'demonstrably safe' for all competitors. Safety also depends on experience, awareness health, build, fitness etc. not just an extra layer of warm clothes. Yes, organisers want competitors to be safe, but you can't wrap everyone in cotton wool. In this case the organisers had clearly stated that the competitors should seriously consider carrying more than the mandatory gear. Reading that gear list ought to make you realise that it is serious country.
yeah but for road runners switching to mountain running the safety doesnt register. i've done running from harriers to mountain running. harriers think they can run in a singlet anywhere in any weather. three harriers died in the rimutakas in mid winter in the seventies because of that attitude . even multiple world mountain running champion jonathan wyat sprained his ankle running the coast to coast. because the "mountain running" circuit was really just a hillier version of a cross country race with reasonable footing... if you havent had much experience in the mountains in bad weather you're a danger to yourself when you go into bad weather the first time.... i remember digging out a snow cave when i was young with shorts on.... guess what , I got hypothermia.... Killian Journet, the most accomplished mountain runner alive has had to be rescued suffering from hypothermia. if you dont regulate people they will do stupid things, and if you have to rescue them then you can be putting other peoples lives at risk.... mountains are seen as playgrounds, and they are deadly ones. if you dont think so, good luck, you'll need it...
I guess it is a similar conundrum to the Tongariro Crossing - do you legislate for those who don't know what they are doing and become a nanny state? And if you do stipulate stricter gear requirements and someone still gets into trouble with hypothermia, are you then responsible because you weren't strict enough? And can you really regulate for stupidity? One of the things that appeals about trail running is the comparative lack of rules compared to other sports such as triathlon. And on the point of elite runners - they often carry next to nothing. Your average Joe sees this and assumes it isn't necessary to take much into the mountains...
I dont accept a normal tramping trip like the tongariro crossing equates to a race, people often have to commit themselves to a mountain race event in advance for planning reasons and often to avoid missing out on the event... far more people do the tongariro crossing based on last minute planning and very few do it in bad weather. and pubic transport doesn even run in bad weather. because a race is an organised event people often get an extra sense of security given there is some support around on the day.... then theres the adrenaline factor and hype factor that further encourages people to persist running in bad weather. these could have been factors in the death in south america...
I do agree with you there Waynowski. See my first post ... "there is a mentality [expectation] that because it is a race it must be safe and there will always be help nearby." Safety (or lack thereof) is definitely not to be taken lightly. I just don't think it necessarily should be regulated. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
risk is an element of any sport and how you manage that is the keyI have to wonder about some of the trail runners Ive seen and whether they have considered all possibilities. At one end of the scale which is where things should be a group of mountain runners who also tramp did the Milford track the Routburn track and half the Kepler in a long weekend All carrying 15 to 20 liter packs. They had time to take photos. One of these guys competed a couple of years later in the Everest base camp marathon which sounded an interesting event. They stated walking from Latook airport to base camp for the start but weather packed in and the organisers moved the start line back 5km which they had to walk in waist deep snow to the new start line then race back to the airport. Then you get a group of students that passed up at the first stream crossing on the way to Tutawai They went to Tutawai and passed us again at Smiths creek shelter. Gym shoes ankle socks shorts and shirts and waist bags big enough to get to packs of smokes in. They did fill out the hut book though. I suppose when on a morning jog you dont need to take that much but if something happened. Last group of local orrienteerers (I know one of them) Saw them on the skyline track They had started in Karori up the skyline to Kaukau and back. All had camelbacks and it turned out that between then when someone complained of blisters someone was able to produce a band aid much the the amazement of everyone else. Here I am up there with a 3/4 full 40 liter pack including 1kg of first aid kit 1 liter cold water and a thermos full set of wet weather and winter woollys despite it being a fine 20 degree day
when a commercial organisation is advertising people to encourage them to do an event, sometimes with flashy media, photos and or videos. then that organisation has a serious obligation to ensure everyone is safe and goes adequately prepared, they are taking peoples money. how often does the advertising include good weather in any images? often,... they are attempting to actively sway people into doing the event with their advertising , people who may not have otherwise done a course like that, especially outside of an organised event. they won't get it 100% right. its not the same as a bunch of mates going for an ad hoc run together...
@wayno Yup, that distinction nails it for me. Good logic.
more information is out. two more people needed rescuing http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-news/gearbait/item/trail-runner-dies-during-race-in-patagonia
11–20 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by waynowski
On 19 April 2016
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown