Meat on trips

1–10 of 45

So who takes real meat on tramping trips? I do not mean heavily salted or dehydrated but proper meat. I often take cooked meat sandwhiches for the first day, normally chicken. I have taken steak and bacon before. Both seem to keep fine in the pack for a day tramping. Would they last two, three days? What are you guys experiences?
I take bacon and eggs if im doing a big early morning tramp for a feed when i get to the hut, seems to keep fine its just the eggs that I have trouble with, spose I should get a egg holder lol
I take bacon. A bit of bacon in the stomache at breakfast time is priceless to keep you going all day. I have had it in my pack for 3 or 4 days without ill effects. The old style dry cured bacon would be better but it is hard to come by these days.
I will take savaloys for a main meal on the first night of a multi night trip & a good quality salami combined with a nice hard cheese is useful for lunches and extra flavouring for past main meals
I made a delicious savaloy stew once on a tramp, it was so good I decided to make it at home a few weeks later. Have not been tempted to try it again. Any recommendations on a few good Salami's to try, I have brought a few and have been unimpressed.
Moroccan Lamb A “tagine” recipe with succulent pieces of tender lamb with chickpeas, raisins and vegetables infused with exotic spices – a subtly sweet and flavoursome dish Matched with moroccan couscous and toasted soy and linsead peta bread Who would bother with an old sausage or a piece of sweaty meat from a plastic bag
Hey bigpaul, I thought you went tramping to loose weight!!
yessss..... well there is the idea that tramping makes room for fine food.
I've taken frozen meat and if you put it in a jar of marinade, it would probably keep even better. Nowadays I usually go the BCC way but I took a sealed pack of Kranskys on a trip and eat them on day 3 once. In fact we had sealed packs of Verkerks meat sticks in our Fiordland traverse food drops to no ill effect although by Day 10 after being opened, they were getting a little interesting in flavour. I hear great things about the Blackball salamis.
Yea the verkerk sausages and salamis are pumped that full of preservitive that as long as the seal isnt broken they will survive for a very long time, the kransky and chorizo are best recomended for chucking in with pasta`s etc livins them up a bit all tho some chorizo can be very spicy depending on the brand
1–10 of 45

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by militaris
On 21 March 2010
Replies 44
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown