Heel blisters

I've been using a pair of Scarpa Nangpa-la boots for a year and a half now. I've used them on every type of terrain on many multi day trips. They fit perfect from the moment I bought them, and till lately have been great boots. But on my last two tramps they have given me big old heel blisters and I've got no idea why? Has anyone got any suggestions before I invest in another pair of boots or go back to the Bullers.
14 comments
11–14 of 14

@geeves There is an art in darning a sock. My Great Grandmother taught me how back in the early 50's when I was about 6-7 years old. Remember, only works on old style woollen socks, albeit you can still by some today. Done right no ridges or bits to do injury to the feet. The trick was to use wool that matched the sock as close as possible. As a child the parents never really had much, not that I noticed at the time, but darning my socks was an honourable pastime in our house.Have applied the same techniques over the years to patch all sorts of stuff. An old canvas pack served years longer than it was intended to because of the darning skill. Taught one of my grandchildren just last week, as they were complaining about having to wait for a new favoured type of garment. She was fascinated and as pleased as punch with the result. Many is the thing I learnt at a grandparents knee.
Some people wear thin socks as a sock liner to prevent friction. Bridgedale make a lovely model. @FrankB: I'm a keen sock darner. Taught by my auntie when I was 12. At the same time, my brother was taught to splice ropes. I bet I've used my skill more times than he has his!
I've found a sock liner and lighter weight Bridgedale socks have done wonders for blister problems on my feet. I do still tend to tape my heels with strapping tape before any long trips just to be on the safe side.
Replacing the inner soles with a structured running type worked for me. They have high arch support which locks my foot in to the boot better.
11–14 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Gaiters
On 23 February 2016
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown