Heel blisters

1–10 of 14

I've been using a pair of Scarpa Nangpa-la boots for a year and a half now. I've used them on every type of terrain on many multi day trips. They fit perfect from the moment I bought them, and till lately have been great boots. But on my last two tramps they have given me big old heel blisters and I've got no idea why? Has anyone got any suggestions before I invest in another pair of boots or go back to the Bullers.
Assuming no change in the socks you wear? Only suggestions I can make for a change at this stage relate to the current hot dry weather - the boots may have dried too quickly altering the shape slightly or your feet may be more sensitive when hot. Personally I have more issues with my feet when they are too hot. Sorry not much help but boots usually start out a bit rough and get better not the other way around.
That's usually how it works aye? Boots get better with age. I wear the same socks. I usually don't have trouble with heat. It's just stumped me. Hiking back out from mid waiohine yesterday just killed me.
@Gaiters I don't know about you but if I have my boots tied too tight going up hill or too loose going down hill, I have a tendency to blister. I once read somewhere that boots should be a little loose on the up and firmly secure on the down. That has helped me to avoid a few pains. I have a pair of boots at present for which this does not appear to matter. But the previous ones when new this made a huge difference.
I tend to keep em tight so I'll give it a go Frank. I actually took the inner soles out and this helped a fair deal.
Hi Gaiters, off topic but I'm curious if there was anything in the mid waiohine log book about someone loosing an inner tube with a pack tied to it. We found said further down the river (not too far below where the Hector River joins in) on 31st Jan.
No I didn't notice anything in the hut book mentioning anything like that. The hut is in great nick though and looks great in nzfs tangerine. The area has been cleared a bit and it really highlights the mighty Rimu surrounding the hut. The new mattresses are as noisy as heck. I miss the mouldy old foam one hahaha. I was lucky enough to spend an evening with three fly fisher men who fed me up on fresh trout, choc slice, venison salami and cheese crackers though. Cheers chaps beats couscous and porridge.
2 things that cause me grief are work inners and worn socks. Check the insides of the boots with your fingers for rough spots that line up with the blisters and look at your socks for wear spots. I dont know how the old folk got away with darning old socks as the edges would rip chunks out of my feet.
Socks is first thing to look at. Insoles worn? Excess fluid in feet/ankles (hot feet, fighting infection). Maybe do some more river crossings to help stretch them? I have the Mythos and they are an exceptional boot but can be hot on warm days.
Maybe the boots have previously dried to a slightly different shape or shrunk or the leather has become less supple. I also replace my socks fairly regularly.
1–10 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Gaiters
On 23 February 2016
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown