Solo backpackable inflatable ultralight kayak

1–10 of 11

Hi there, I have not done swimming for a while; therefore, i am not a strong swimmer. I am trying to get fit for The Long Journey canoeing in Summer. Speaking about tramping / bushwalking, i am put off on some tramps due to swimming across a river/s. Thinking of a single inflatable backpackable lightweight kayak, i would seek advice on what kayak model/s is/are OK for wilderness rivers and low-level rapids.
fyi: https://www.alpackaraft.com/store/index.cfm?CFID=26849271&CFTOKEN=23951911&ProductID=66&do=detail
I have done a bit of search on this topic before, and the Alpacka raft seems to be the only option. Most other rafts are cheaply made plastic jobs, heavier or impossible to find any information on. The main reason I have not brought a Alpacka is the cost.
They are on specials. $100 is off the marked price. Without the paddle, the Alpaca weight is the same as a Microlight one person tent with pegs is. Negotiate with the owner of the store. She is easy to get along.
Thanks for pointing out the special. Now is the time to buy with the discount and the high NZ dollar. Now just need to increase my credit on my credit card. Still going to be $1000+ but there is no other options.
If you are keen on walking and liloing, the Alpaca is the go. It takes less than 10 minutes to inflate it with a weightless inflation bag. You can also have fun with it paddling rivers and lakes...
The main reason I am thinking of getting one is for trout fishing. I would spend the day slowing walking upstream fishing. When it is time to head home I could inflate the raft and allow the river to carry me back to the car. Should be faster then walking. Would also be handy to navigate through gorges and through deep pools which normally required swimming. Plus it would be cool to use for general tramping or just for fun.
It is likely that the raft will be with me on a walk over New Year. The water in the gorges will be too cold to swim across even though it is only a short swim. May have fun paddling around the gorges. Will see.
Never got around to ordering one, which means I probably did not consider them worth the price. Might buy a cheap plastic raft one day. Should be fine for a few calm crossings.
Saw two plastic rafts on my recent trip over Christmas and New Year. They were fine on the calm day. Also another thing is that they can take two. Due to mistakes by the Alpaca raft dealer I have still been waiting for my paddle. This leads to no practice meaning no confidence. I am not in the mood thinking about this as well as The Long Journey (club trip) in Febuary. It is unsure that I will be in it. One more would be good to even up the numbers in the canoes.
1–10 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by Dztramping
On 27 October 2007
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown