new gloves for the wet and winter - ideas?

Just came back from completing the Tongariro Northern Circuit the other day, and since it rained 2 days out of 3 it sure showed up which of my gear actually is waterproof and which was not. The positives were my Macpac Prophet AP jacket and Pertex pants combo which held up really well, also Salewa Rapace boots stayed dry all day (admitted hidden under gaiters) However gloves were a totally different story :( I had some waterproof Outdoor Research Riot gloves, which leaked like a sieve through the stitching. Very disappointed in them. Looking at a handful of the outdoors shop sites I can't see a whole lot of options that look any more waterproof than what I had. Seems it's mostly fleece gloves and ski gloves out there. Anybody have something that works well? I managed ok because it was summer, so wet hands wasn't too bad given it wasn't super cold. Keeping the wind chill off was the main requirement. But if I go again in winter I really really want to be able to tuck the gloves under the jacket sleeve and stay dry!
38 comments
11–20 of 38

thanks heaps guys. some excellent stuff here. and yes to the wrist covers, that is something i am going to look into. especially if I can make one that I can stuff one of those hand warmer packs into it, that will work well I am sure. I had not considered dry feel vs waterproof. because for sure once you have gloves on, if you need to open a pack to add a layer or get food then you are immediately introducing water to the glove even if it was highly water resistant.
I've bought those ninja gloves for ice handlers - the ones with the fleecy inner lining and waterproof layering on the palm. I've painted electrician's tape over the back of one as a trial and wear both gloves back to front but I haven't tried them on a tramp yet, only the bike, as they've heavier than what I usually carry and I'm such a gram weenie. I also have felted mitts from Mongolia. I wore them once on a very cold winter trip and they were really good in the cold sharp wind. I guess they're like Dachsteins. I have merino liner gloves which I can wear underneath but need to be good at darns, I'll bet.
Great article @Ruahine. So much truth. Wow, gloves in summer below the snowline. You must be extremely cold blooded.
um the title was gloves for winter? point taken though. I'm soft. Got it. ta.
Great question ben10 & excelent link hutchk. Both of us wearing gloves today up at Gem Lake (despite it being alledgedly summer) in rain & biting winds but what I had is next to useless when saturated. And still felt someone was smashing my fingers with a sledgehammer when i got back in a warm truck. Yet to find anything warm when wet but still dextrous enough to handle tools, traps, etc. Generally start with biker gloves but end up throwing em out of the cot in frustration when trying to do delicate stuff. That link had some great ideas ... will report back on what i try.
Thin polypropylene gloves a disposable pair of latex gloves over top and another layer of polypropylene gloves over this if needed. I spend long times stock taking in freezers and find this works for me.
I posted this previously but still relevant for this post:- So I tried 'Hunting & Fishing'. The only ones they had, are ones which are finger-less with a flip over 'lid' to form a mitten. $35 I think. Decided to give them a go and they are GREAT! Very well insulated so I had to flip them open, to cool my hands down, every now and then. They've got 'wear pads' in the palm, presumably for holding a rifle or whatever, so shouldn't wear out with the trekking poles. My wind proof over-mitts will fit over them but haven't tried them 'in anger' yet. And, of course, you don't have to take them off to deal with any 'fiddly' stuff - very handy! The only problem I can see is that I wonder how long they will last with the frequent swapping from one mode to the other. That said, the benefits are so good I think I'd be happy to replace them every now and then. Just discovered Oringi do these in wool with a leather 'wear patch'. Probably would have preferred these to the synthetics. Same price at $35 http://www.oringi.co.nz/Products/Gloves/Fingers-Free-Mitten.aspx
@Ben10 My comment wasn't written in the extremely sarcastic fashion in which I think you read it. Wasn't meaning to offend. Thanks.
i wouldn say it's that uncommon to need gloves in bad weather in summer below the bushline. the season isnt whats relevant the weather is whats relevant. i was on a trip last month with gloves below the bushline, it was snowing and raining. and strong winds.
@EvoSmith then I unreservedly apologise for reading it as such! I've long tired of the frequent 'harden up' type comments made at similar topics in motorcycle forums in the past - so please forgive me for the reaction. cheers @deepriver I'll have a look at Hunting and Fishing next time I'm out that ways. The guy at bivouac told me the only thing they have that is actually waterproof is the big rain mittens. I have some of those for my bike. I might give that a go actually. chuck them over the top of a pair of lighter gloves and see how it holds up..
11–20 of 38

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Ben10
On 12 January 2016
Replies 37
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown