Finishing Heaphy track on 22/12

I am finishing the heaphy track on the 22nd December and am hoping to find someone else who is too. I can get transport to Karamea if needed but am stuck there for a couple of days (when I would prefer to be on my way to another walk). Does anyone have any suggestions other then Trek-express and Karamea express (who do not operate on a Sunday or will charge $180 for the one person booking)? I am happy to help with petrol to Westport or further, just not $180. On a more interesting note I am thinking of doing the St James walkway after and that still leaves me a couple of days for another walk in that general area before flying out of Christchurch. Any suggestions? Thank you and happy tramping.
Early this year i was so lucky on my way for The Heaphy Track. I had been given a lift to Karamea, then the morning after to trailhead. When I completed The Heaphy Track I was also given a lift out. I missed Trek-express and was fortunate to meet up with someone with a 4WD. Such a nice gentlement I ever met. He did not bother sharing the cost of petrol.
I suggest you consider hitchhiking - there is fair bit of traffic between Karamea and Wesport - and you should be able to get some transport from Wesport to wherever you are next going in the South. Hitchhiking is still alive and well in NZ, and is quite safe for males anyway.
Wesport - Karamea buses did not run everyday, not on Sundays (from memory). I missed a bus and was lucky to meet another traveller / driver at Wesport Visitor Information Centre.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by p.hosking
On 25 October 2007
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown