helicopters in natonal parks

1–10 of 17

This thread branched from "THIS WEEK - Kepler & Routeburn, November 15-20" on . Explore the branch.

i dont tramp with able bodied people who take recreational helicopter rides onto mountains, its not good for the planet.. if you've got two good legs, then use them while you can. maybe when you're old and grey you can take a recreational flight. They contaminate the wilderness with excessive noise in a place where a lot of people are trying to get away from machinery noise. and its kind of cheating when you get out of one on a mountain when others have bothered to walk, rescue helicopters are fine. i hang out with trampers. i think recreational flying over national parks should have restrictions. places like milford sound are ruined by the sound of aircraft. and then theres helibiking... :D
Helicopters are also pretty bad around the Karamea, with flocks of them descending on roaring lion hut. Dropping anglers off right on the edge of the Wilderness area. Really defeats the point. I can understand equipment being dropped off such as raft and kayaks, but people should be walking in if they plan on exploring a wilderness area.
Was up the Travers Valley last year (Nelson Lakes National Park) and had to put up with an RNZAF helicopter for several days hovering around and shooting off up the valleys. Exceedingly annoying!!!! Apparently the army had a camp set up and the helicopter was doing exercises with them. Why is this allowed in a National Park (and I think it might even have been a long weekend or school holidays) especially when there is heaps of non-National Park land in the area? I regret not having taking this further at the time as, surely, this shouldn't take place in National Parks? Anyone know?
Sometimes in the middle of nowhere during a moment of tranquillity you hear the drone of a fixed-wing or thuk of a chopper… it's a jarring sound. For those unable to reach remote places on their feet sure, a flight is the only way in. Some people just don't have the time to tramp in so they charter a chopper and I don't imagine they get to experience even a third of what trampers do in terms of a deep appreciation for the wild places. As a MTB'er, I'm rather old fashioned in my opinion that you have to 'earn' your downhill. The long grind uphill gives you time to listen, smell and the odd stop here and there allows time to gorge on the views. Is there anywhere left in NZ not in a flight path?
the air force have a permanent base on in the wairau valley on the eastern side of the st arnaud range and do a lot of their training around the st arnaud range, not usually with aircraft, they hae their bushcraft courses there, the eastern side at least is outside the national park..
@waynowski They do a bit of helicopter training out of Dip Flat and have had journo friends who have gone along to do stories on it. Wasn't aware they actually went over to the Travers Valley however. Was pleasantly surprised on Labour weekend to only hear one helicoptor buzzing around the Kaimanawas given their usual frequency there. Edit: Link to story http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/569478/Air-rescue-exercise-gets-a-little-too-realistic
One benefit of lazy erse hunters flying in to the Kaweka back country with everything including the kitchen sink is the haul they leave behind in huts - air freshener and a dozen rolls of paper in the long drop, big piles of magazines, firestarters, all sorts of food etc. It can be like Christmas after a long day.
The airforce has closed their base at Dip Flat, believe the new one is up the Branch or letham.
So will the Branch be still accessible I hope…. plans to explore that area this summer.
Hmmm, I had a trip in and around the Leatham planned as well. Will have to look in to that.
1–10 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by waynowski
On 15 November 2015
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown