BCC Nutritional Data

1–10 of 22

I'm sure I'm missing something really bone-headed here, but I would appreciate someone explaining to me how the nutrition label on a BCC meal works. Example: Cottage Pie Serves per pack 1 Net Weight: 90g Preparation Add 245 ml water Serving Size: 335 g Nutritional Information Per Serve Per 100g 1851kJ 553kJ 443kcal 132kcal All I'm interested in is the calorie content of this one person serving. Serve size is 90g. 100g of the same stuff = 132 kcal. But this label seems to be suggesting that merely adding 245 ml of water to the 90g serve jacks the payload up to 443kcal. What am I'm missing?
yeah serving size of the whole packet once prepared with water is is 440kcal, 100g prepared is 130kcal
Thats what they have done but so many other brands do it the other way ie compare dry weight figures. Thats why mayonase is considered extra high fat and shouldnt ever be eaten although you only use a teaspoon of it to a kilogram of lettuce making an extra low fat salad
Thanks guys. Certainly seems a bit needlessly confusing using the reconstituted figures. I've been using them for a while but I'm looking into some DIY cheaper, lighter alternatives. Are there any special components in those meals that are worth bearing in mind (vitamins/nutrients that speed recovery or what not)? For now I'm just trying to emulate the cal/carb/fat/protein balance, with a bit of dried veg chucked in.
lentils and rice are dry to start with... lentils are full of protein and vitamins you can get a dehydrator or its possible to experiment dehydrating in a fan oven on low heat, precooked parboiled rice is one option, its much faster to reconstitute, you can make your own, cook it and dehydrate it again
Lentils. Good tip. Yea reconstituting and cooking big considerations eh. Love that about BCC, one boil and your away. I'm thinking of experimenting with some real basic dinners on a three night trip and just see how the body reacts. Something like 40 gms wholemeal crackers, 30 gms pork scratchings and 30 gms of dried peas. Mixed up in a bit of soup powder...???
"40 gms wholemeal crackers, 30 gms pork scratchings and 30 gms of dried peas. Mixed up in a bit of soup powder" That actually sounds like it would be fantastic after a hard day. Plenty of salt in there too. Is there much protein in pork scratchings?
I understand there's vitamin D in them. Someone compared 2 brands in the UK: Brand 1) had hydrolised vegetable protein - yuk.. Protein 66.2% Carbs 0.9% Fat 26% Sat fats 9.1% Brand 2) Pork Rind Sea salt more salt Dried yeast extract Dextrose Wheat Rusk Sugar Natural flavourings, celery Paprika extract Protein 42.7% Carbs 0.1% Fat 51.9% Sat fats 17.9%
The only pork scratchings I've found in NZ (Sniks) are 64.7 % protein and practically 0 carbs.
Wow. Where do you buy them?
1–10 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by Craigo.
On 10 November 2015
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown