Jet Boil stoves

1–10 of 23

Hi there, I'm not new to tramping but am new to this site. Ive recently started doing a lot of tramping on my own and am after others' advice about the lightest stove out there. On long and winter trips we always take the MSR white spirits burner and we also have a small light gas cooker which we take on short trips, but we usually tent and it is pretty inefficient in the wind. So I've been wondering about purchasing a Jetboil. I usually dehydrate all my own food, so cooking is mainly about the need to boil water. What is the lightest stove available?
Jetboil used to make something called the SOL Ti, which was made of itanium and weighed about 250g I think. I don't know if they make it anymore, but you can still find a few around. I think they're lightest one they currently make is the Flash lite, weighing in at around 300g. The thing with Jetboils though is they don't perform well in the wind. If that is your issue, consider something like the MSR Reactor or Windburner. I have the reactor, and it boils water quicker than anything I've ever seen (although I hear the windburner is faster). They're both designed to work in high wind, and I can attest to the Reactors ability in that regard; though they are more expensive and heavier. As to the lightest stove available, alcohol burners are easily the lightest, but not overly fun to use and take forever to boil things. For example: http://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/camping-and-tramping/stoves/esbit-titanium-solid-fuel-stove.html
@TramperJoe Welcome to the site. I don't have anything useful to contribute about JetBoil's (having never owned or used one) - but they do look interesting and I'm keen to hear what others might have to say about them as well.
Biggest problem with jetboil and similar stoves is the lack of flexibility. They are designed to work with a small selection of thee own brand pots and thats all. You have already considered this so it might not be an issue. Other than that the matched kits work very well
I really like my jetboil - mostly use when cooking for one or two people, occasionally three any more and would go to white spirits. I use the bit it came with and packs into for boiling water and use the the adaptor that sits on top (sold separately) for cooking in a small billy. This is not as efficent as the jet boil billies but a lot cheaper and does the job.
HI @TramperJoe, I agree with what has been said above about Jetboil stoves with regards to their flexibility, and their performance in wind; which is just like any other gas canister stove without a windshield. Either get a windshield, or the MSR windburner or reactor that are much better in dealing with wind. Interesting review of the MSR windboiler (along with comparison to a Jetboil) here: http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.co.nz/2014/11/review-new-msr-windboiler.html
A great link and review thanks nzbazza. I've never really looked that closely at the Jet Boil and always thought the flame was enclosed, but i suspect the MSR windbolier would be much better for what I'm wanting. I actually love MSR gear. People have always criticized MSR cookers for not being able to simmer, but if you're only boiling water this isnt a problem. And even when I do cook proper meals in the hills (compared with cooking dehydrated meals) i never find it a problem that the food bubbles away vigorously!
technically some of the jetboils are only made for boiling water and not cooking food, check the instructions for the model, i'm guessing you'd be likely to burn food in them easily. noodle would be a safer option if you were cooking food in it
"People have always criticized MSR cookers for not being able to simmer, but if you're only boiling water this isnt a problem. " I almost never try and simmer a meal. It's a waste of fuel and isn't necessary. What I always do is once the meal has reached a boil for 30 - 60 secs I turn the cooker off, remove the billy and with the lid still on place it inside a stuff bag and do the draw cord up tight to keep the lid on. Then I just wrap the bag in as much insulating clothing, hats, jackets, even sleeping bag as I can easily spare - and wait 20 minutes. Out comes a perfectly cooked meal, the dehyd and rice will be just right - and I've saved on a fair bit of fuel. The really big plus is that nothing has stuck to the billy and its really easy to clean. First started doing this on a long winter trip many years ago when we were running low on white spirits - and I've never looked back.
Thats certainly the best way to cook rice and if rice is on the menu there is always someone wanting a warmed sleeping bag. Not me though I would rather eat crunchy rice than have a hot sleeping bag As for simmering its only one model of whisperlite that didnt simmer well. I would challenge anyone to show me a stove that simmers better than my dragonfly. ( I would also challenge anyone to snore louder than when its at full noise) Even then though cooking real food that requires stirring etc requires a simmering stove
1–10 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by TramperJoe
On 5 November 2015
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown