Want to book Milford/Kepler/Routeburn tracks?

I want to introduce this website http://nztracker.nz/ This website was created for people who didn't book the great walks in New Zealand in advance. It will send you an automatic email for available places in the most famous tracks (Milford, Kepler, Routeburn) when somebody cancels so that you can immediately book them and enjoy the breathtaking scenery!
15 comments
11–15 of 15

Hi @Alexespunto, thanks for your comments. Our mission is to help the travelers so we constantly checking if everything is OK. We also decided that we want that our customers will not have a risk- so if they didn't get a notification they will get the money back.
Look I'm all for private enterprise,if these guys have identified a market and an opportunity,good luck to them. Its the pigeon English and general unprofessional responses that would put me off though. But again,if others want to sign up,fair enough.
I'm curious of what DOC thinks about a business hammering its website with the intent of making money by giving some people advantage over others, though, especially when it diverts DOC resources to do so, but also if it undermines whatever efforts DOC might be intending for everyone to have an equal chance without needing to fork out more money than the existing prices. But that's probably a matter best for DOC to sort out with the NZtracker website operators.
That may be why doc doesn't offer a notification service. Those who are making the effort to search for a space can be beaten by the lazy who can't be bothered and pay someone to do it for them to queue jump. That is anathema to the philosophy of tramping where you are rewarded by your efforts. Not by your ability to pay to queue jump. I oppose the service in principle. Those who have lots of money to spare can go on guided walks when doc spaces are full. There doesn'need to be a two tiered system with freedom walkers
I guess it is a principle thing if nothing else. DOC could easily set prices based on demand and save taxpayers a heap of cash, or have a tiered system (like airlines) so that those with buckets of money can buy late (sort of what happens with guided trips except they pay concession fees), but instead they're heavily subsidised and I'd always thought the reason was so that people who couldn't afford to pay more than that would at least have the same chance as people who could. So that's being undermined, DOC ends up needing to cope with robots hitting the website more, and money that could arguably go straight back to taxpayers, if it were thought reasonable to charge it in the first place, ends up going to a private business instead. I think I'd get more concerned, though, if it were to take off and create an obvious disadvantage for people who don't pay extra. DOC can probably also block something like this at any time if it chose to do so.
11–15 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Buy / sell / exchange
Started by NZtracker
On 11 October 2015
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown