Long cut waterproof jackets

I used to wear a longline parka in the 80's and apart from the stink, it was a great jacket… no wet shorts. The three I'm considering are: 1. Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia Jacket (Entrant D-EV) 2. Macpac Resolution XPD AP (Pertex Shield AP) 3. Macpac Copland (Reflex) Finding reviews on these jackets is thin on the ground so maybe there are members here who own a jacket from this list and can give some feedback? (Pros and cons) Much appreciated!
68 comments
51–60 of 68

Even wood is a non fossil fuel essentially carbon neutral and easily found on the side of the track
I want one of those high tech force field bubbles, so as I can wander along the tops in nothing but my boots and birthday suit :-)
Didn't talbot and graves tramp a lot in the nude to combat rain? Don't know how they faired with the sand flies though?
Often in hot weather its better not to bother with a coat. Synthetics dry quickly and will keep you cooler if they are wet. Not a problem we have to put up with often though
Maori used rain capes. But that might have a connect with not having 'zipper technology' ?. @glennj mentioned a 'butterfly cape' ?. Only ever seen one at a gypsy fair. Some North Canterbury cottage industry was making them from oilskin. Styx Mill seem to sell a range of them commercially. Would solve the breathability issue, but probably wouldn't suit those that prefer long coats ?. http://www.timberlineinternational.com/images/products/00000029-00.jpg
Do a google search for "inuit gut skin parka". A tough lightweight waterpoof coat developed well before nylon and gore-tex.
Love all these interesting alternatives ...
Weight wise the Inuit Gut Skin Parka is incredible. Quote from " Mystic Seaport" "The dried out intestines are very light and an entire coat can weigh as little as twenty-one to twenty-four grams even though they were made very large in order to fit over a fur parka and their other winter resistant clothing."
1 deleted post from Pro-active
My latest rainwear was bought with style & weight in mind,leaving me with wet shorts when my pack pulls up the already short coat .Being of Scottish heritage,I came up with a solution-I had an old pair of overtrou,which I`d replaced due to their lack of ankle zips.I cut them down to just-above -the-knee shorts!Okay,I`ve gained 200 grams but a dry exhaust.It`s where the mods & rockers met the turkey-tramper.
@Lewshaw - turn your internal mail on ?. Go to 'Profile-edit profile-preferences' I've copped some forum flak for cutting coat sleeves off at the elbow, but long-shorts over-trousers is brilliant !!!. Leading edge !!!.
51–60 of 68

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by JETNZ
On 20 September 2015
Replies 67
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown