Long cut waterproof jackets

I used to wear a longline parka in the 80's and apart from the stink, it was a great jacket… no wet shorts. The three I'm considering are: 1. Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia Jacket (Entrant D-EV) 2. Macpac Resolution XPD AP (Pertex Shield AP) 3. Macpac Copland (Reflex) Finding reviews on these jackets is thin on the ground so maybe there are members here who own a jacket from this list and can give some feedback? (Pros and cons) Much appreciated!
68 comments
41–50 of 68

My strategy is to have a mid thigh length non waterproof nylon jacket that protects me from wind sun and scrub. When raining I wear a silnylon jacket under this. When cold under both I will wear a fuzzy rubber jacket (as used by kayakers. My goal is to be just warm enough. Gave up spending ridiculous amounts of money to be dry for a few weeks.
rainshell buying advice http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hardshell-Jacket-Reviews/Buying-Advice http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Reviews/Buying-Advice
re the interwool mentioned earlier. I dont know why but the one I had was great for a couple of years then would start to stink very quickly when worn. Even worse than early polypros. Always washed up fine but it got to the point I couldnt wear it more than an hour or so.
Maybe it had an 'anti-bacterial treatment ' and it wore off. What chemicals are used to treat these garments…?
I have a Macpac made with ( event ) and I've found that it's the best jacket ever , very very breathable long rain jacket . Downside they are heavy
My Interwool tops still resist odours quite well, not as good as pure merino but still can go several days between washes. Maybe yours got contaminated by a extra odious strain of microbes.
Yeah im this general way of thinking as well. Ive tried all kinds of things even ponchos, nothing works, you get just as wet from sweat. On the move, in drizzle, im often better off in a windfleece in cooler weather or just a base layer in warm conditions. Keep moving, keep warm. Find shelter get dry. If im with company ill even whip out the fly for lunch stops. On the mountain the macpac on sale event jacket cuts the wind. And breathes... kinda... because it isnt wet out. Wet out= stay at home. Raincoats, criky. Oxymoron. Kinda like antidpressants with known side effects of increased suicidality.
"Yeah im this general way of thinking as well. Ive tried all kinds of things even ponchos, nothing works, you get just as wet from sweat." Personally I haul an adapted home ventilation system on a trailer behind me. It's been customised to connect to my portable diesel generator, also located on a second trailer behind the first one. When the rain comes I don my raincoat, plug the assortment in, stuff a tube down the back of my neck, fill it up with fossils to burn, and switch the whole thing on. It does an adequate job of pushing out a small portion of the rain water which entered around the edge of the tube.
At least you could be considerate of the environment and reduce your use of fossil fuels and use the optional renewable energy trailer with attached solar panel and wind turbine...
How jolly ingenious :) Now if you added a third trailer with a porta-loo and a methane regeneration plant then you are bound to win an Eco Award. Along with not polluting the waterways you'd be powering your travels & cooking with the gas, you may even be able inflate several balloons to levitate your convoy. Though this does raise the need for more food to supply said contraption and the possibility of another trailer……..
41–50 of 68

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by JETNZ
On 20 September 2015
Replies 67
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown