Winter Sleeping Bags

1–10 of 21

I been wanting to attempt more summits over winter, but starting to think I need a warmer sleeping bag. For anyone who camps at higher altitude over winter, want warmth sleeping bag is required?
I've got a Domex Copland (rated to -16) that works well for me. DX-proof shell means it sheds snow and ice without getting soaked. Domex also make a lighter mummy style version, but I prefer a roomier bag.The only letdown is the zips - they can be a bugger to operate with gloves on (or cold fingers). On special here http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/p2528_Domex_Copland_Standard_Sleeping_Bag.html
depends on the individual whether you sleep warm or not. i'd be looking at minus 10 to fifteen at least. i've got a bag with 900gm of down, its an old bag and only gives one rating of minus 25 but thats probably the extreme rating. its probably closer to minus 15 for lower comfort rating. i've got exped bags that are lighter and find them good bags, bivouac sell them with up to 900gm of down
Have you guys ever been in situations where you have been cold in your bag? , or been forced to curl up, to try and conserve heat. My current warmest bag has 730g of 700 loft (Comfort -2, limit -8). The coldest night I was chilly in it for a few hours before slowly warming up. Also wore a lightweight down jacket that night. I also had a cold at the time, which would not have helped. On paper I really like the specs of the Mont, Exped and the Sea to Summit Bags. With the Exped being the best value, although the other two companies use water repellent down (which I suspect is mostly marketing). Oneplanet, and Macpac also have some decent options. Domex seems to be sticking with 700 loft down, but 800 or higher loft is now becoming more common. That would mean their bags are about 10% heavier for the same warmth.
not in my winter bag no i havent been so cold i had to curl up, its a mummy design, not sure what the lowest temp ive been in it, only know it was below zero there was frost on the inside of the tent, it would only have been a few degrees below zero. dont imagine it would have been minus ten, i was pretty warm in it though with just a base layer on, i dont think i'm a warm sleeper either. probably average to below average, not much spare fat on me either, and extra fat will help a bit with warmth. bear in mind a proportion of the bags weight is nylon. technically for the same weight down, 800 loft down should loft nearly 15% more than 700 weight down by volume, and in theory means the bag should have an overall bigger outer curcumference so all the extra loft isnt lofting outwards the bigger circumference absorbs some of the down reducing extra loft.... so i couldnt guess what the exact gain would be in warmth, best bet is to go by a standard bag temp rating to compare bags against each other, what you can say is the 800 loft bag should compact better and give a bit of extra warmth. usually good quality brands are using 800 loft down so it should be an overall well designed bag with overall quality materials and construction.
I’ve snow caved and tented at altitude in my old Macpac Sapphire and never been cold. I’m fairly certain it’s 900gm. In any case I had it repacked at Twin Needle with an extra 100gm a few months ago, but apart from a trip up Rome Ridge in April I didn’t really get to use it this winter. It's a bulky heavy bag though and that’s always a consideration (albeit an important one) when going high, given that you are usually carrying so much other climbing kit. The coldest recorded temp I’ve slept in it was -16 below Single Cone of all places. I was doing a day trip from the highway end of Wye creek over to the Remarkables ski area in Winter. I got away late and ended up digging a scoop in the snow when it started to white out. Apart from a shell layer you’re not really peeling too many clothes off when sleeping before an alpine start anyway, so the conventions on trapped body heat inside the bag become subjective. If you’re warm when you get into the bag and you’ve had a decent feed then you can get away with a lighter bag. But if you’re cold, tired and on limited rations a good sleeping bag can be your lifesaver. In Spring I've got away with a bivy bag plus a light synthetic bag in a snow cave while wearing a down jacket, overtrou and plastic boot liners. Other times I’ve been running late and cursed my lack of a tent and the need to spend time digging myself in, yet I think a good snow cave is much more pleasant than tenting because the air temp is fairly stable and you are not exposed to the distraction of wind belting your tent all night. I bought a North Face Furnace -7 sleeping bag 2 weeks ago because I wanted something a bit roomier, lighter and compresses better than my Sapphire . It means I could put on a down jacket if needs be without feeling claustrophobic I had a budget of $300 so it came in at $295 with discount. I’m doing a trip up to either Lake Anna or Lake Mavis in the next 2 or 3 weeks so will let you know if I freeze to death…or not.
@militaris yep, Domex run with 700 loft, but I'll wear the extra 100g or so when they're several hundred $ cheaper than the competition. All I know is that I've never been cold in it! I got caught short in my summer Fairydown bag on an unseasonally freezing night up in the Kawekas - wore everything in my pack and still froze my erse off. I was seriously considering getting in to my survival bag just before dawn, but decided to get up and get moving instead. Lesson learned....
Thanks for all the feedback. I do like the look of the Exped Comfort 800, a slightly more roomy mummy bag cut. With a full length zipping making it more comfortable in warm conditions. Would be slightly heavier and cooler then a proper mummy bag but that is a compromise I am prepared to take. Also like the 240cm extra long option. Finally a sleeping bag with generous length. Macpac also makes good length bags, but they are more expensive even when on sale. waynowski, I compared the weight of the One Planet bags because they have the option of 700 or 800 loft down in the same bag for the same warmth value. The bags with 800 loft are around 5% lighter then the 700 loft bags.
I have an exped 800 waterproof. I toss and turn at night and it's very roomy. Bought it for half price years ago from bivouac. I love it. No need to go for the comfort IMO. You'll be sweating even in a tent in snow.
i've got an exped lite and ultralite, they are narrower bags, the ultralite especially narrow, you cant get out of it when its fully zipped up! not much room to move but I dont have problems with that. quality bags as far as i'm concerned, swiss company. i've been using them for several years now. pack down amazingly small. all the stitching inside is hidden so it doesnt snag, comes with a drybag stuff sack. the lite ranges are really cut down though, no neck baffle in them, the ultralites you can move the down between the top and bottom to vary the warmth. inside pocket to keep important items. very nice fabric. oh no slap me i've said some positive things, I"m supposed to only be saying negative things. .. ;)
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by militaris
On 3 September 2015
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown