nutritional and supplementary considerations

When one tramps, there is damage to the muscles and the body will cannibalise protein from said muscles in order to effect repair. So the muscle mass is broken down to some degree. Seeing as my legs are on the scraggy side anyway, my post-tramping meal includes a decent whack of protein which is used for the repair job. But, hey we are definitely all different. I have observed many blokes with scrawny legs and builds who did a ton of exercise. But I noticed they didn't eat much protein during the trip or after e.g pizza flavoured bread with tomato soup for the main meal... I would hazard a guess that at least a cm thick, palm-sized serving of protein would be required. Matthew, chime in and tell us you're a muscle-bound adonis even though you're a vegan! We are all individuals but a feed of chips and tomato sauce isn't going to do your body a favour, post-hike.
42 comments
41–42 of 42

On the original topic, I think you guys are gonna love this one; starting Te Araroa last weekend I packed a 5kg bag of rice, and 3kg of lentils. Face palm! Ditched half of it the first night. Ditched more the second, including all of the lentils (which was actually a soup mix that had some things in that would make chewing rocks easier). I have now switched to cous cous. A little more expensive, but lighter, and it takes a LOT less time to cook! Much better for the gas situation. :) I have also purchased a magnesium supplement. I knew I would have to at some stage, but it surprised me it was so soon. I have hyperhydrosis. Excessive sweating, especially after prolonged exertion. Throws my homeostasis out of wack. Magnesium definitely helps keep the cramps (sometimes excruciatingly violent ones) at bay.
Ouch, 8kg of rice and lentils. Rather you than me mate. Best of luck with the TA. Hope all goes well
41–42 of 42

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Honora
On 31 August 2015
Replies 41
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown