Member blocked

1–10 of 38

Thread closed

This thread was closed by matthew.
I have just blocked a member permanently for issuing veiled threats to three members via private message. Blocking is always the last recourse, but there is no tolerance for threatening behaviour, as noted here: http://tramper.nz/15753/forums-moderation/ The member in question expressed views that he was being victimised here, and that forum moderation was censorship based on political affiliations. I have no doubt he will take comfort in those views. Nevertheless, they were not the reason he was blocked. Thank you everybody for your tolerance and patience. Please always report threats via private message. I don't check these messages (as they are private), but I can do so if necessary in order to follow up a complaint.
I'm in complete agreement with this course of action.
Hi Matthew, Is there anything you can do to stop blocked members from simply creating a new account and rejoining?
Not a great deal aside from reblocking. I am looking at options for verified identities but I don't want this to be mandatory. I am also looking at ramping down privileges for new members.
Sweet. I thought there was something about ISP numbers being able to be logged and blocked but that's just what I had read somewhere. Wouldn't have a clue myself!
you could record IP addresses, but they dont always remain the same based on the fact if your connection is reset with theISP they may end up issuing you a different address number. unless you can see a unique dns hostname for the PC that gets logged and if that shows up again its likely to be the same person trying again.
Yeah that's right. For example, at home I pay extra for a fixed IP address so that the servers can block out all other addresses from some kinds of access. It's often pretty easy to spot when a problematic person returns. However, if they return with a new attitude, then well that's not such a problem.
If the site's storing a cookie in the browser that could be mapped back to the last use by a known suspended user, then maybe that could be detected to at least make it inconvenient for the person to create a new account. It's definitely not failsafe though, of course. Anyone who understands what's going on would get around it easily. Unless there's a clear problem then trying to solve the problem may be far more trouble than it's worth.
Not a bad idea! Cheers.
If you go to the trouble of providing only limited access until new members build up a reputation, then you can offer them identity verification as a way of avoiding that wait. But what limited access do you give? If we had a system of moderators, then the common answer would be that all posts from new users must be moderated before they appear. e.g. bushwalk.com.au But we don't have moderators, and on tech-orientated sites, such moderator-approval systems on other site generally just encourage me to ask the same question elsewhere where I don't have to wait...

This thread was closed by matthew .

1–10 of 38

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 13 July 2015
Replies 37
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown