New Zealand May-July

I'm looking to be in New Zealand from May to July and am wondering what are my best options for a multi-day backpack (tramp?) on the South Island. I'll probably be in the North Island at some point as well but I've got a friend in Dunedin and am interested in climbing in Castle Hill, so it's where I'll be spending most of my time. Thanks
Hey there, depends really on one's fitness level and degree of difficulty. Great Walks are a start eg Milford, Routeburn, Kepler (big huts and lots of people in season), then its up a level to the Rees-Dart, Greenstone-Caples, Cascade Saddle, Nelson Lakes NP area then u can go up another level involving more navigation etc such as Nelson Lakes NP to Lewis Pass via Thompson Pass etc. Loads of options here if ur interested here. Then u can go up another level and do trips involving alpine crossings and complete navigation. So loads of options to do as I say depending upon ur ability and experience. More than u can do in 10 years!
I'd say I'm pretty experienced and fairly fit, most of the backpacking I've done has been between 2000 m and 3500 m in elevation with plenty of navigation. I was more wondering what the winter conditions would be like in terms of where I'd be able to go and what weather I should expect. Thanks again

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by naofumi
On 18 February 2010
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown