Splitting up and getting lost

"Should groups split up?. I asked Robin McNeill, President of Federated Mountain Clubs, a national organisation of outdoors groups, and author of “Safety in the Mountains”, published by FMC. His comment: “Stick together, no matter what—it saves time in the long run and prevents bad decisions.” follows; intentional separation, unintentional separation, other options for improving your chances. http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/201754782/off-the-beaten-track-with-kennedy-warne https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3ADbmiNBi1Q/VQKfiGQpabI/AAAAAAAABao/99sz6xKx0bU/w1406-h809-no/017_stitch.jpg 'Leaving Lake Angelus on the Mt Cedric Route. Walking into cloud.'
24 comments
11–20 of 24

I quite often lead from the centre of a group as long as the person in front either knows the way or I can trust them to stop and ask if required. If Im the only one thats been there before I will be at the front but I am checking every 5 or 10 minutes on everyone. It wont work for tramping as effectivly but in the 4wd clubs there is a standing convoy rule. You keep an eye on the vehicle behind you. You lose them and you stop. It will stop a group even without radios. Often the reason you lose your tail is that they need a tow often in places you dont really want to reverse back to but thats part of that fun.
Its an interesting topic, I am currently reading a book of trips reports from the TTC I the 80-90's and there are page after page of trips where the parties separated and never saw each other again. Personally, I don't think a formed group should break up: there is just too much scope for losing people, missing each other etc. Spreading out along the track or route is fine but only within certain limits. Firstly, inexperienced trampers need a someone with them. You need to set meet up times and locations and you need someone experienced to act as "tail end Charlie' to sweep up the strays. there is a reason "olde time" tramping clubs operate this way: It works!
Groups should stay in contact with each other - or its not a group. By splitting you loose most if not all of the advantages strengths or backup that were the reasons you formed a team in the first place. Groups should never split without informed consent from all parties. Should you always have to tramp in a group? Even if you start as a group can you change your mind and switch to solo or sub groups? Should the person at the back be left to become a solo tramper wether they choose to or not? The problem I believe, is people (usually but not always less experienced) inadvertently separating and effectively switching to solo mode, without having made a well thought out decision. The simple message - when you start as a team, stay as a team.
A long time ago a club group set off from Bealy Hut to cross Lagoon saddle in winter. The leaders included the president and club captain, the FMC representative at the time and the immediate past president of FMC. Some members were MSC instructors and some were complete beginners. It was misty and snowing crossing the tops and we stopped lower in the bush to eat and regroup. That night at Hamilton hut, a communal dinner was being served, and the call went round for the last plate, to dish out the carefully counted servings .... when it slowly become apparent we were one inexperienced teenager short. A long night and a day of searching followed, for the leaders in particular ... before the missing person was located back in the city. Early in the day, at the back, they'd gone off the track to toilet, hastening to catch up they couldn't see group or track out in the open snow and mist and sensibly turned back to the cars. Groups really should stay in contact with each other.
On some courses I've been on with the MSC, we've had a buddy system so each buddy is responsible full-time for the other. I've experienced the joy as a reasonably inexperienced tramper of stopping to do #2's in the East Otehake and the group thought it was only #1's so carried on. I emerged and had no idea where they'd gone but stumbled off in the most likely direction and found them waiting for me at Walker Pass. Since then, I let people know if it's likely they'll get out of sight when I stop. It might be the same club, Hugh, that has the tale of serving up the sausages and finding there's an extra one left then realizing why. That was a Zit Saddle/Lathrop Saddle trip and the missing person had fallen and damaged their hip. The same club emerged from Bush Stream in the Rangitata and drove home and then the straggler came out and walked to Mesopotamia to tell them his plight. That club was banned from 'Messy' for decades for that stunt. It nearly happened to me once. I carried on down a river but unknown to me, everyone behind me ducked up a wee shortcut track to the cars. When I got to the car, they had no idea I wasn't with them all that time, including my partner!
"Should you always have to tramp in a group? Even if you start as a group can you change your mind and switch to solo or sub groups? Should the person at the back be left to become a solo tramper wether they choose to or not?" Start in a group finish in a group. That is unless it was prearranged that the individual was walking with the group to point x then leaving. Why shouldnt say a hunter tag along with a club trip into area y then turn right on his own while the group goes the other way. Simplifies transport to the road end etc but really the individule was never part of the group. Anything else at least is bad manners and at most a recipie for disaster or worse the illusion of disaster. Imagine starting a search for someone who isnt lost.
I've only once split from a group. The other three were planning a solid bush bash uphill that day and I was feeling decidedly unfit and queasy after a bad nights sleep. After a careful consultation with the trip leader I took the easy way out to the road end, road-bashed around to where the others were coming out and re-joined for the car trip home. I can think of few other good circumstances where you should EVER lose sight of each other. And it looks like the rest of the posters here are pretty much unanimous.
That is one situation where the whole trip should of gone your way
Tramping solo and with a group are vastly different from each other. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I tramp by myself Im more aware of my surroundings and actions. When Im with a group I am more relaxed about what Im doing because you have that back up around you. Suddenly finding yourself alone instead of with your group could be a perfect recipe for panic.
My tramping companion seems to panic about getting to the next stop in minimum time. He'll go ahead whilst I prefer to stop and smell the roses. When I catch up to him resting, he immediately starts off again and I rest by myself. The only benefit of tramping "together" has been shared transport. I think I would rather tramp solo and probably will from now on. :-/
1 deleted post from chris1
11–20 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by Pro-active
On 18 May 2015
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown