NZ hitchhiking, tramping and camping

Hi everyone, I am new here, a 25 year old German who is going to visit NZ (arriving in Auckland on september 17th). I have been to NZ before but could only do day-hikes because of a knee injury. This time, I want to be in nature a lot, and want to be independent. There is nothing specific I need to see and no agenda I have to follow. So I was thinking about hitchhiking and go whereever the person who's taking me goes - and from there see where there are tracks/tramps nearby I could do. I guess I will definetely buy a backcountry hut pass but also take my tent. And I was thinking on informing local DOC offices before I set off for any multi-day tramps. Does this sound doable? And is there some kind of book/guide with an overview of tramps and huts and campsites you could recommend (I sure checked the map on here but as I won't take my laptop with me sth on paper would be handy ;-))? Thanks in advance, Michael
31 comments
11–20 of 31

Oh, well that's good news. I print the odd one with a laser printer so that's good, Tho If I need A3 or colour I have to go inkjet =/ Never knew that laser printed stuff wouldn't run.
Cheers for that. Never realised the laser prints don't run.
laser is the best answer but Ive had no problems with prints from my brother inkjet using cartridge world refills. The hp I had before was diabolical even with cartridge world ink. The Epson before that was no better
From where I am ensconced on my couch I can see these books on my bookcase (starting from least obscure) - Lonely Planet's "Tramping in NZ" - "101 Great Tramps" by Mark Pickering and Rodney Smith - "A Tramper's Guide to NZ's National Parks" by Robbie Burton and Maggie Atkinson - "Tramping in the South Island" by Sven Brabyn (two volumes, Mt Richmond Forest park to Arthurs Pass, and Arthurs Pass to Mt Cook). Mine are all old editions but they are probably still available and probably have updated versions out. The last two seem to have more trips, including lesser known, shorter, and harder routes. The first two contained more than all I needed to plan my first probably 10 or 15 tramps in the South Island (I have never tramped in the NI). Make sure any info you get from a book you also check with the local DOC office or at doc.govt.nz, because tracks are damaged or washed away, huts burn down, bridges removed, etc. You need to make sure you have the most up to date info. But the books are a great place to start. And they are fun reading. Great time waster, reading tramping guides and studying topomaps (topomap.co.nz) :-) As an aside, I would recommend considering carrying a PLB, especially if you may be tramping alone. If you break a leg on day 1 of a 7 day tramp you won't have to wait for 7+ days for help. Although if you are sticking to Great Walks and other really popular tracks, and walking in the summer months, you can probably risk not having one.
toner is polystyrene, its not ink...
If you can secure the app "MapApp NZ South Island" for iPad/iPhone it would serve you well; not so much in the field (although for short tramps it's great when used with GPS on) but as a mobile reference. The app contains all the latest topo maps stitched together, stored locally so no network required and costs NZ$20. Hardcopy maps - there is a product that waterproofs paper but (rather typically) you won't find it in NZ. Fishpond say currently unavailable. Called "AQUASEAL® MAP SEAL®". Or use a glad seal bag or buy a map holder from an outdoors shop. Hitchhiking. You are probably aware of the risks but a policeman friend has made me swear never to hitchhike. As a bloke the perceived risks might be considered less but nonetheless always exercise caution. Always.
@JETNZ Hey also I believe all the LINZ topo maps are integrated into the View Ranger application and website. Which is FoC. You can buy maps worldwide in the app, but from my knowledge all the LINZ maps are already on there :)
Thanks a lot guys for all the advice!!
"Hitchhiking. You are probably aware of the risks but a policeman friend has made me swear never to hitchhike. As a bloke the perceived risks might be considered less but nonetheless always exercise caution. Always." In NZ hitchhikers coming to grief still makes the front page of the paper. In some countries it would be lucky to make the classifieds. Yes there is a risk there but its not that big a risk if your sensible. Consider how many people hitchhiking here and how rarely something happens
Hitchhiking safety tip - text the number plate of any car you get into to a friend as you get in. If things become unpleasant - you can always let them know you've done this. Or lie and say you have! In Ireland there was a safety line set up and publicised for this purpose, but not here. That said, my experience of hitchhiking around the world (bearing in mind I'm a bloke) is that the main risks come from dangerous driving, not from any malisciousness. I gave a lift to a fella once in Levin. He found out I was living in Southland at the time, and said, he'd just spent 5 years in Invercargill. I asked him if he liked it, and he said no, he was in the jail! He also gave me his phone number and let me know that if I had any trouble with anyone in Wellington, to give him a call. In other words, hitchiking in my experience generally brings out the best in both parties. But a low-probability risk of high-severity consequences does always exist.
11–20 of 31

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by micha1234
On 23 April 2015
Replies 30
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown