Most memorable tramping meal

I was talking about a hut roast I partook of on one of the other threads and I got me thinking about memorable tramping meals I have had. I mean food is one of the central tenants of tramping and will often be a topic of conversation especially after the third day as you eat your rice or 2 min noodles. On that occasion we took a beef roast, wine and fixings on a UCTC tramp up the Avoca and had a slap up meal. It was awesome! Do you have a memory of a particular tramping meal that has stuck with you over the years.
49 comments
11–20 of 49

It might have actually tasted OK. Some polentas get fried after they're cooked and shaped.
(Moved from other thread) The two of us had just come down off the tops into Supper Cove Hut after four weeks of geology field work in the untracked, unnamed range between Dusky Sound and Wet-Jacket Arm. The general policy was - wet day = rest day. But we'd just had three weeks of relentlessly fine days and thus we decided that tomorrow was going to be a 'wet day' regardless. And so it was. In anticipation of heading out the next two days, with all the left-overs I baked up the most enormous and surprisingly excellent fruit cake in the camp oven that night. Next day after some mucking about the two of us set off in the ali dinghy that was parked near the hut and rowed off down out of Supper Cove and a little way into the Sound itself. It was glorious day in the kind of setting that reminds you of your relative insignificance in the bigger scheme of things. We returned with four beautiful fresh blue cod. And much to our surprise we had visitors. A couple of Americans had actually made it in that far (it was a rough track to Dusky in the 70's) - and with them came some "Wild Turkey" and all the ingredients for a very fine custard. Plus some fresh veges. Then just to add to our surprise a couple of young hunters turn up. The hut book was blank for weeks prior, so this really was a crowd. And with them came a fine slab of venison they'd just shot that afternoon. A combined party feast was declared. I set about making a wonderful crumbed batter for the cod from some broken up Tararua bikkies, the wild venison was in the pan along with a rather potent gravvy - all finished off with hot vanilla custard (double plus strength) and a dash of the liquor on top of a warmed up fruit cake. Everyone was very full and happy by the time we'd demolished it all. That was over 40 years ago and I can still clearly taste it as I type this out. Some things just remain bright in your memory.
I went around the NW circuit on Stewart Island with a Canadian and an Israeli. The Israeli's supplies consisted of 2 loaves of white bread and a big potal of individual spice containers which meant meals consisted of spice soup with bread mush. His bread ran out by East Ruggedy I think so I gave him a bag of rice (which he had refused up till then) and he carried on to Freshwater with spicey rice soup. An odd fellow :)
Freshly caught trout is something else...wrap the beast in tinfoil with a shot of olive oil or butter, a sprinkle of salt and some lemon if you have it...tres bon! Had some like this one time while tramping/fishing with some Army mates in the North Island, it sure bets eating dehydrated meals! Fresh trout sandwiches...awesome!
@Honora; curious to know what you mean by "One of the most pernicious forms of "food" available." (2 min noodles)
takes a while to load what happens to your digestive system when you eat 2 minute noodles http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/eating-instant-noodles.aspx
Mine would be what the group ate on my first tramp. A packet of oriental rice risotto, a packet of chicken rice risotto, a tin of spam, and some dried peas, all mixed together. I don't ever remember being quite so tired or more grateful to see food. Now Im a fair bit fitter thank god. That's up there as one of the best meals Ive ever eaten.
"A packet of oriental rice risotto, a packet of chicken rice risotto, a tin of spam, and some dried peas, all mixed together." I almost threw up in my mouth just reading that
The day my sister and I finished a five day trip eating only pasta, rice, instant mashed spud, crackers, cheese, salami and muesli, our parents took us out for dinner to a steak house. Probably will remain my most memorable meal for the rest of my life. Way more memorable than our wedding dinner. I'll never forget the huge steak, green salad veges and fries with tomato sauce. Now we've learned to take better tramping meals, but it makes the post-trip dinner less awesome.
Geez Chris, watch how you phrase things mate,this looks like you married your sister! (though I agree the post tramp meals are always the best) :-)
11–20 of 49

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by bradley1
On 2 April 2015
Replies 48
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown