Most memorable tramping meal

1–10 of 49

I was talking about a hut roast I partook of on one of the other threads and I got me thinking about memorable tramping meals I have had. I mean food is one of the central tenants of tramping and will often be a topic of conversation especially after the third day as you eat your rice or 2 min noodles. On that occasion we took a beef roast, wine and fixings on a UCTC tramp up the Avoca and had a slap up meal. It was awesome! Do you have a memory of a particular tramping meal that has stuck with you over the years.
arrg - we've both created the same topic on two different threads at the same time! (Maybe Matt could combine the back into one?)
tramping into a hut we met some blokes coming out who told us that they had forgotton to bring the trout they had caught with them and it was still hanging in the small shed by the hut said it was too far to go back and get it was a good size and cooked up a treat can still remember like it was yesterday
The most memorable meal in the hills was not mine but someone else staying at a hut in the Ruahines last week. For breakfast the person concerned cooked up 2 minute noodles in a frypan (not sure if they used the flavour sachet) then stired through a great dollop of plain yoghurt and ate it warm !! I still can't believe what I saw
That probably tastes quite nice but sounds like it was recycled
Saw an Italian adding parmesan to his porridge once. Guess that's memorable b/c I haven't forgotten it...In fact, I tried it myself. You won't catch me eating 2 minute noodles though. One of the most pernicious forms of "food" available. Funnily enough I was craving them last weekend.
Standard breakfast with a couple I tramp with is instant mash spud and cheese. Another I tramp with has 2 min noodles with fish floss. He imports the fish floss from Taiwan but local Asian shops sell pork floss which is quite similar. Both these breakfasts tick all the required nutrients to tramp on boxes but it doesnt mean Im changing from my breakfast of 2 packs of instant porridge (any flavour) a generous helping of low fat milk powder some sugar (if it wasnt for the tramping it would be far to much) and 1 cup of boiling water let stand for 2 minutes and wash down with veina cafe 3 in one coffee.
That fish floss sounds excellent. Any protein that is light and easily prepared interests me. I've bought dried fish and some of them are not so great - gritty shrimps and nasty little tough anchovies etc.
I bought some of those dried shrimps once from our local Asian store. Never got to try them opening the bag was enough to see them placed in the bin. Even the cat wasnt game to try them. I found out afterwards they are meant to be used as a seasoning in much the same way as pepper or curry powder. I normally dislike any form of cold fish but I did try some of the fish floss. it wasnt that bad although it wont make it onto my favourite foods list. Taste was a sweet salty slight fishy with a texture not too unlike candy floss. The pork version is easy to get and as you say a light easy type of protein.
A fellow tramping companion once fried up some cold porridge from the day before - was a new low in tramping fareā€¦ we couldn't watch him eat it.
1–10 of 49

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by bradley1
On 2 April 2015
Replies 48
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown