Things you'd like to tell trampers from overseas

I'm following the forum for quite a while now. I'm about to set up a small business in Germany advising people on non-guided tramping in a few selected countries/regions including NZ. I'm trying to follow an integrated approach as much as possible so that my clients are fully prepared for what to expect when they go tramping. I'm interested to know from you: What are the most important things you would like to tell visitors from overseas who come to New Zealand for tramping? It can be in regard to safety, track etiquette and behaviour, experiences you have made or situations you have been in with international trampers or whatever you find important I should also let my clients know. I appreciate your feedback, thanks, Happy Easter Daniel PS: I know the articles about the basics, I am interested about your opinion.
71 comments
11–20 of 71

This is extracted from www.landsar.org.nz/ and is pretty relevant. THE OUTDOOR SAFETY CODE 1. PLAN YOUR TRIP Seek local knowledge and plan the route you will take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect it to take. 2. TELL SOMEONE Tell someone your plans and leave a date to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. 3. BE AWARE OF THE WEATHER New Zealand’s weather can be highly unpredictable. Check the forecast and expect weather changes. 4. KNOW YOUR LIMITS Challenge yourself within your physical limits and experience. Learn safe ways of rescuing others without putting yourself in danger. 5. TAKE SUFFICIENT SUPPLIES Make sure you have enough food, clothing, equipment and emergency rations for the worst-case scenario. Take an appropriate means of communication.
"...but I certainly wouldn't wish to see the extinction of the Kauri as much as I wouldn't want to see the demise of the British Elm." Um, I don't think theres many Kauri south of the Bombays so probably not a real issue but good thinking about the bio threat. We have Didymo... :)
Oh yea, I like to point out to foreigners how you can sleep anywhere in our bush (the whole country) and nothing would harm you, the most dangerous animal we have is, um, us! But most people know this I'm sure
Maybe not @pipeking but this is why it's imperative that these procedures are taken so the Kauri doesn't get wiped out forever. Ha, good old rock snot ey!! How does that stuff develop anyway? I know it's an algae typeform, it must be because of either low nutrient or high nutrient water courses. Please correct me if i'm wrong. Everything can be learnt from and developed upon.
Agree with all the comments above. I would want to warn tourists to take sandflies and sandfly protection seriously! (especially if visiting the West Coast but also Arthurs Pass, Lewis Pass, Nelson Lakes, Aspiring tramping areas). They may not be able to kill you but they can make you pretty miserable!
A lot of good info is available from landsar doc etc but the biggest challenge is getting people to read it. Maybe if it was in German with a German author sold in Germany that would help but im not sure. There are 2 types of tourist tramper here. The first 80 to 90% have taken the time to find out about the place and have done most things right and are a pleasure to meet on the trails. Your book will make it easier for these people but they will find out anyway. The other 10 to 20% are the ones you are targeting your book at but I have to ask if they can even read. They cause more than there fair share of mayhem and not just on tramping tracks. They are not interested in doing the right things and will walk over the edge of a waterfall because there was no sign in there language suggesting its a bad idea.
Yea the Didymo came from Asia apparently, its in most of our waterways now down south. No idea how it arrived, but possibly on someones feet...
Umm, also... (1) Expect mud. Everywhere. (2) Footwear dries out. It's okay to submerge it. (If it isn't okay, it wasn't worth having it anyway. :) )
And... Back country huts cost $5 a night. Thinking you are clever by not paying this means you're a dick.
west coast sandflies, especially the ones at Okarito are the most painful sandflies by a significant margin,, its like being stung....
11–20 of 71

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by sidna
On 2 April 2015
Replies 70
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown