Things you'd like to tell trampers from overseas

1–10 of 71

I'm following the forum for quite a while now. I'm about to set up a small business in Germany advising people on non-guided tramping in a few selected countries/regions including NZ. I'm trying to follow an integrated approach as much as possible so that my clients are fully prepared for what to expect when they go tramping. I'm interested to know from you: What are the most important things you would like to tell visitors from overseas who come to New Zealand for tramping? It can be in regard to safety, track etiquette and behaviour, experiences you have made or situations you have been in with international trampers or whatever you find important I should also let my clients know. I appreciate your feedback, thanks, Happy Easter Daniel PS: I know the articles about the basics, I am interested about your opinion.
it can be dangerous in the mountains here here than most foreigners realise. do your homework on where you want to go and don't be surprised if things are much harder than you expected. or dont go tramping here. we have more than enough people who take on more than they can handle and need rescuring.
Please don't feed the birds. :P
If someone motors up behind you, let them pass. Don't speed up. It's not a challenge, some people just walk faster than others. Give way to those coming down hill. Walking around in the middle of nowhere playing Rammstein's greatest hits on your boom box isn't cool.
come to new zealnd yourself and make sure you understand what it is like here first hand, i wouldnt take advice from anyone who didnt have decent first hand experience tramping here, and i think it would be reckless to give people advice if you dont have experience yourself in the first place.
I'm not from New Zealand, but I think an obvious point in any backcountry is to be aware of following good hygiene standards and leaving no trace. Biodiversity comes into this too, so its not just about doing your one's and two's in the right place or taking away your litter. Our footwear can pick up disease spreading spores to native plants and trees in forestry. This is relevant where I am from in the UK with Ash dieback (caused by the Hymenoscyphus Fraxineus Fungus) and Dutch Elm disease( caused by Ophiostoma Ulmi Fungus). I believe it is a similar problem in NZ with Kauri dieback (caused by Phytophthora Taxon Agathis). These pathogens are a serious threat to the said native trees and simple measures like cleaning your boots off when leaving a wooded area can help stop the spread. It may seem pointless to some and I may not be from NZ myself, but I certainly wouldn't wish to see the extinction of the Kauri as much as I wouldn't want to see the demise of the British Elm.
You've come to the right place, search the threads and you'll find a wealth of information. Some of the common themes are lack of preparedness, not doing enough research on intended routes, leaving a sound intentions plan with a trusted contact, not listening to local advice nor even asking for local advice! Being respectful of the environment and respect mother nature. Have a Plan B, always… The list goes on….
Good point. Please have a nice respect for our biosecurity measures when entering, and don't be afraid to declare all food and outdoor gear so it can be properly checked and cleaned more carefully if necessary. (They don't want to confiscate your stuff and will usually go to lengths to avoid taking it if they can.) The measures are there for good reason, and there are multiple examples of organisms gone crazy and causing major problems, specifically originating from people who came in with badly cleaned equipment.
Thank you for the replies so far. I have been to NZ twice for longer periods and have done many tramps - otherwise I would not advise people on hiking in your wonderful country. I am curious to know what matters you as locals most if you could tell all your concerns or recommendations to visitors. And I will make sure that at least my clients will hear your advice.
1. An understanding of how our SAR system works 2. An understanding of how the hut system evolved and how it is treasured as a shared community resource. 3. That there are local communities (both Maori and non-Maori) who have deep connections to these places - and the need to behave with the common courtesy and respect expected of any guest. Edit: 4. Be aware that your presence has an impact - and be aware of the ways you can minimise it.
1–10 of 71

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by sidna
On 2 April 2015
Replies 70
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown