Tramping Research Project

1–10 of 25

Hey everyone! Im a fourth year Industrial design student and I am looking into designing around tramping safety gear. Im wondering what problems,issues and possible improvements you have with your current gear? This can include anything! First Aid,Shelter,backpacks,cooking utilities. Any suggestions would be helpful. Im a beginner tramper myself and Im heading on a tramp in a few weeks ! Would be great to have some feedback
Could you please invent a raincoat that didn't stop beading away rain water after one wear? That would be awesome!
Hey thanks for you reply! Just wondering what type of jacket you had?
Currently have an Earth Sea Sky hydrophobia. My above post was a slight exaggeration, I've worn it in the rain maybe 4 times and it's stopped beading. Water now seeps through the arms. My prior Macpac event something-or-other lasted about 2 wears but I wore it so sporadically I missed the warranty date to return that jacket otherwise I would have. I know there's all these sprays and potions you are "supposed" to use on them but.... why not just invent a jacket that doesn't need them? :)
The outdoor equipment market is hugely competitive and well served by enterprises both large and small. Innovation abounts in almost all product segments I can think of. The big items - pack, shelter, sleeping and clothing systems are pretty well covered. Even the range of cooking gear has widened enormously in recent years. Yet there remains trade-offs at almost every point - weight, durability, range of climatic usefulness and price - all remain big variables. Which in turn gives rise to such a huge range of products each attempting to carve out a profitable niche somewhere in spectrum of users requirements and pocketbooks. For the foreseeable future I doubt there will arise a 'killer app' which change this picture. Part of the challenge is that most products that have to be sold into the market are really just small variations or evolutions of what has gone before. Rarely does someone successfully go back to first physical principles and solve an old problem in an entirely new way. The big outstanding problem that no-one has really solved is a clothing system which copes with rain, cold winds and high exertion at the same time. Lots of effort has been put into solving it - with mixed results. But interesting to think about. Hey - welcome to the forum and good luck on your first trips.
if you dont know, what he's talking about with the water beading off is DWR chemical treatment of a raincoat. it's a science in itself. C8 chemicals have been the standard treatments but they are set to be banned in the states and by ethical clothing manufacturers because they are toxic. that leaves them with C6 chemicals that dont last as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durable_water_repellent
Was talking to a tourist from Canada who is a designer for Arc'teryx (you would love his job His contract is based on a 3 day week but by working 6 he amasses so much leave etc that he can work 7 months in Canada and holiday 5 months in NZ) who said the only DWC worth buying is the Graingers one. Its the only one still made of flourocarbon and is not available any more in USA or Canada. He cant even buy it here to take back as it would be confisgated at the border.
Got a link Geeves? Tried googling Graingers, but it's a bit confusing. For this dumb Aussie, anyway..... :P
Hey thanks for your quality feedback! There are many products on the market that I have to compete with! The piece of clothing you mentioned(Philip) that can withstand all environment factors would be interesting! A product that has many uses in one. Pricing is an issue as there are so many different materials in this one piece . Usability testing and sourcing/testing materials will play a big part. Trying to find out what has gone in the past and new research methods are my next steps as well! Im still on my way but getting out there and immersing myself in the environment and experiencing this for myself will help me as well! Keep posting your feedback is appreciated!
Put your shell layer in the clothes dryer on hot for about 15 mins, it brings the DWR to the surface again and it will be like new again. Once they are well worn you can actually buy proper DWR (sprays n potions) to wash back in.
1–10 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by sophiam
On 25 March 2015
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown