Meals without a cooker

Looking for ideas/inspiration for meals that don't require a cooker. Sometimes it would be nice not to take a gas canister/pot and just take cold food for a night or two in the summer months. This could also be useful for those trampers who sometimes get on their MTB and want to do overnights too. Many thanks!
28 comments
21–28 of 28

I see that tuna sachets are back on the supermarket shelves. Eventhough they are flavoured, I have tried them all and they are pretty good.
The Peri Peri one is especially good, but Im surprised that they didn't do a plain version, only flavored.
Yeah, spotted those available again and was thrilled to buy a couple to try out. But not the peri-peri. Is it hot? I don't like flavours full of chilli.
I too am big into PBJs (peanut butter and jam sandwiches). Not usually for breakfast or dinner but for lunch. They're loaded with calories, last for days and don't mind getting smashed a bit in the pack. They're also easy to eat whilst walking down the track.
"PBJ's" - also known as possum bait & jam sandwiches. You can tell when this possumer has reached that stage of desperation for fresh bread when he's eating them on damper bread made from the flour-based lure. Actually - I do recommend it. 4:1 flour to icing sugar. With cinnamon lure - makes great sweet dampers. Especially when eaten with the peanut butter (possum bait) on top. Dampers with orange lured flour are, however, disgusting. Sorry: off topic - needs a fire & camp oven.
Um I always thought possum baits were aniseed and laced with cyanide?
We use peanut butter as bait with cyanide pellets. You can also buy pre-made bait blocks which look like they're cereal based and have the pellet already in them. For trapping (and sometimes beside cyanide paste) we use a flour blaze (visual lure) on a tree/rock. The flour contains icing sugar which makes it whiter in the UV spectrum and makes it tastier. The scent lures we use mixed in with the flour are generally aniseed, cinnamon, orange. Quite sure others have different approaches though. Anyhow - thence 'possum bait sandwiches'
Hi, Have you considered using a flameless heater pack to heat a BCC meal. All you need thne is your meal, the heater pack and some water. Plus the heater packs are very light.
21–28 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by JETNZ
On 24 February 2015
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown