Meals without a cooker

Looking for ideas/inspiration for meals that don't require a cooker. Sometimes it would be nice not to take a gas canister/pot and just take cold food for a night or two in the summer months. This could also be useful for those trampers who sometimes get on their MTB and want to do overnights too. Many thanks!
28 comments
11–20 of 28

Have found the same @hutchk, OSM are surprisingly good at delivering sustained energy. An excellent fuel for hill climbs.
at one stage OSM listed palm oil in the ingredients, I try and avoid foods with palm oil. deforestation of native forests etc, at the moment it just says vegetable oil... so not sure about what they are putting in them now.. they should list the type of oil if they want to be known to be free of palm oil
scroggin. muesli bars.
"That was it! No hot meals, no hot drinks. I said, "don't you get sick of eating that", he certainly did, but at least he didn't need to cook. " I think that pretty much sums up no cook meals Yes you can but do you really want to?
No palm oil in OSM bars. http://www.onesquaremeal.com/faq_35.htm
Re: the OSM statement about coconut oil: "They behave in a fashion similar to carbohydrates". I interpret this as meaning they produce ketone bodies which can be used as fuel by the brain instead of using glucose. Unlike carbohydrates, coconut oil doesn't get stored as fat.
@Honora, (this is completely off topic), do you know if Creatine is any good for the brain functions and/or concussions? You seem to be pretty clued up in regards to health stuff, I have been researching brain recovery from TBI (head knocks) and omega-3 and creatine are my focus right now. Sorry to highjack the thread, just didn't think it warranted its own post.. :)
@pipeking, I was told that creatine is a big con because it only lasts for a second or even less. I could ask a biochemist at work. I bought the MitoQ and took a bottle but didn't notice any difference.
Ok cheers, all good, I read some interesting reports on the benefits of using creatine for treatment of mild to severe TBI and I knew it was a widely used body building supplement.
Hey For no cook meals you can also use cheese, pepperoni, or hard salami (summer sausage) as these will keep a couple of days without going off. I take muesli and add coconut, with it to increase calories. Nut butters work well. To keep vegetables in the diet I make carrot, kumura and kale chips. GORP, chocolate bars and corn or banana chips work for snacks. I would also recommend searching on ultralight forums for recipes. Have a great time
11–20 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by JETNZ
On 24 February 2015
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown