Beginner looking for advice and tramping partner..

Hi, I'm Matt from London I've lived in Wellington since I arrived in October. I've saved up some cash and bought some camping gear to travel some of the country. I am a complete beginner and would like some advice on what other equipment I might need.. I have a backpack, a tent and a sleeping bag. I also have another bag with snorkelling gear. I'm guessing my sneakers won't be good enough and should probably invest in some boots?.. Any more essential things I might need? I'm planning on leaving the beginning of Feb and travelling for 2-4 months or maybe longer. I was going to go to lake Taupo 1st but now I'm thinking maybe to start in Abel Tasman.. It would be great if I could meet someone or a group of people to teach me how the basics on tramping and surviving in the wild. My end goal in life is to live self sufficiently (live off the grid) and never have to pay bills again. I think this is a good way to start and to get some practice living in the wild. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.
12 comments
11–12 of 12

We also have a 'passive solar' house which helps. Wind generators no good for us as the only windy time is late winter and spring, when (usually) the stream flows full and we have power to spare from the micro-hydro. Right now the stream is nearly dry and we are having lots of cloudy days so the throb of the generator fills the air every 3 days or so. We are actually contemplating selling, the aches and pains of older age are creeping up on us and I can no longer maintain everything. I have to say that I know I will enjoy just being able to flick a switch on and not have to always think as to whether it is justified, or not! lol Much as I enjoy an 'alternative lifestyle' (been living alternatively for over 40 years) I suspect that time is coming to a close. Mind you - who knows what we will buy next. So if anyone wants 17 acres of bush, in paradise, just let me know --------! If you want to be inspired with alternative energy projects check out this Golden Bay Tramping Club member's pages:- http://carpool.actrix.co.nz/projects/projects.htm
River, I'd love to visit and check out your set-up sometime. Phenomenal that you've lived that amazing lifestyle for 40+ years!
11–12 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by Matt30uk
On 8 January 2015
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown